Bike Selection

Discussion in 'Pre-Motorized Bicycle Information.' started by Hareball198069, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Hareball198069

Hareball198069 New Member

Hey everyone, I'm not sure what bike to get... I was think of getting a Micargi, any input is appreciated

2. TheNecromancer13

In order to help you choose a bike, we kind of need to know what kind of engine you want to put on it.

3. Hareball198069

Hareball198069 New Member

I want to put a 49cc Flying Horse 5G Pull Start Bicycle Engine Kit- 4 Stroke

4. MotorBicycleRacing

MotorBicycleRacing Active Member

The misnamed 5G has a low quality pocket bike chain driven gearbox.
    They are prone to failure.

Buy a kit with belt drive like the 4G

The 49cc 4 stroke motor is made by Huasheng. There is no such
    motor made by Flying Horse, it is just renamed.

5. Allen_Wrench

Allen_Wrench Resident Mad Scientist

If you can get hold of an old steel frame cruiser (like Cleveland Welding, or some such) for a decent price and no cracks anywhere, I'd grab that. My old 1948 JC Higgins is one of those.
    Others on the forum will have more experience with aluminum or other alloy frames. I will let them chime in. They'll know more about it than I would.
    I mostly trust steel because I can weld it if I have to. I haven't yet welded aluminum.

6. mogollonmonster

Ok um... Micargi makes some decent bikes, lots of members using them including me.
    Micargi Mustang GTS
    That's Dax F80-RT head
    Manic Mechanic-40t
    A few other bits and pieces on Murder

Not familiar at all with fourstroke kits. But as a general rule, try and find a steel frame, Allen is right, old American steel often passes muster for a long time. A vintage Schwinn frame (Chicago built) is incredibly strong. If you're interested, I've got a 1963 Schwinn American, with all original parts, sans tires and tubes, that I could be talked out of...for way more than it's worth...lol

If you want to make sure you've got engine room, the Micargi Stretch frames have it in spades. There are custom builders like Sportsman Flyer, you could look around for KCVale's builds, he does all kinds of cool stuff

7. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Active Member

Micargi Rover and Falcon have been motorized with a 2 stroke China girl without fab or welding.