bike helmets

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
This really isn't an issue for me my daughter and her husband bought me a motorcycle approved helmet for christmas. I didn't ask.

However there was a picture in the paper sunday of a motorbike rider talking to a cop and he is wearing a bike helmet. Now they knew he was a motorbike rider and they said nothing about the bike helmet. I wonder how many cops know the law or if I do. Is there such a thing as a dot approved bicycle helmet.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Don't know about the DOT approved bicycle helmet.

What are the laws for helmets in your state? Maybe he didn't need one by law, and was just wearing the bike helmet for bug protection.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well if you read the law like I do, it's a moped and requires a dot helmet. That's why I was wondering if they have bike ones. Now if you decide you are riding a bike, you don't need one. There is no such thing as a motor assisted bicycle in this state. It's a moped or a bike. I read it as moped.

However i read my electro as a bike. It has no cc's at all. Mopeds have to be under 50cc

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I really don't know the helmet law in California. I do know that too many of us have gone down (even me) and it's really easy to hit your head on the pavement when you go down at 25+ mph.
All of us here in Nor Cal...except Big John haha wear full face helmets. Plus we all know that wearing a helmet reduces the chances of seriously getting injuried. Bones will eventually heal or can be replaced but its hard to recover from a head trauma.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Yeah, I dont understand the big deal of wearing a helmet. I've used a helmet since around six years old. I dont feel natural when I dont wear one. But I do believe no one has the right to tell someone they have too.
I was just doing a little research on helmets. Found out that Snell standards significantly surpass those set by DOT. As a racer we always use Snell approved helmets, now I know why.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
People don't wear helmets because they think they look dorky....laying in bed all day with a couple of tubes coming out of your sides is not as dorky.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Frankly I wore a bell full face helmet back when I rode a motorcycle. It has been years. Now I ride a motorbike that goes no faster than a bicycle, mine is not set for speed at all. So I would prefer a vented bicycle helmet rather than the pot helmet when the summer gets here. If I'm risking my head, I can't see it being any bigger risk than a kid pedaling all out down hill on a 21 speed bike.

Now i do ride my electric friction drive bike with no helmet at all. It will do about 15mph and i'm probably in more danger on it, but I don't think so. It won't go far so I ride it just for fun and a little exercise. Just as I would on a bike trail.

Hey I live for danger rofl

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If you fall flat on your back, you can fracture your skull, imagine what a fence post or pavement would do at 15-25 mph.

It is a personal choice, just like everyone fights about in the motorcycling world...

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The five-step helmet fit test

1. Movement from front to back
With one hand, gently lift the front of the helmet up and back. The helmet should not move. If it does, adjust the straps and/or the padding.

2. Movement from back to front
With one hand, gently lift the back of the helmet up and forward. The helmet should not move. If it does, tighten the back strap, chin strap and/or the padding.

3. Side-to-side
Put a hand on each side of the helmet and rock from side to side. Shake your head "no" as hard as possible. The helmet should not slip. If it does, check the padding on the sides and make sure the straps are adjusted evenly.

4. Helmet pull-down
Open your mouth (lower jaw) as wide as possible, without moving your head. The top of your helmet should pull down. If it does not pull down, tighten the chin strap.

5. Forehead coverage
Check to see if the front edge of the helmet covers your forehead. The front edge of the helmet should not be more than one to two fingers-widths from your eyebrows.