Bicycle Engine

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by paul, May 15, 2008.

?

what type of bicycle engine do you have

1. 2 stroke bicycle engine

321 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. 4 stroke bicycle engine

72 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. electric bicycle motor

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. hybrid (more than one motor type)

1 vote(s)
    0.2%
  5. All the above

3 vote(s)
    0.7%
  1. WECSOG

WECSOG Member

I agree with you about electrics. As for the longevity of two strokes, it all depends on how the two stroke is designed and its build quality; same as with a four stroke. A four stroke doesn't last long if run at maximum rpm for long periods of time, either.

Now, about that "pump gas" comment. I used to be averse to mixing up a special fuel blend too, but I've changed my outlook. Start with modern diesel fuel. What we are forced to buy from the pumps now is designed specifically to kill old-school, mechanically injected diesel engines. So for my old school diesels I have to mix my own fuel that won't harm them. In the process, I can make fuel that is even better than the old diesel was.
    A similar situation exists with regular pump gasoline now. Modern cars are designed to deal with the deliberately low-quality and adulterated gasoline that is foisted off on us now. Carbureted engines aren't. That stuff is death on old-school carbureted car engines, and even more so on small engines. It's not good for even modern engines, but they are designed to put up with it so long as the car is driven regularly to keep a fresh supply of fuel running through it. That stuff is designed to kill old engines and engines in cars that don't get driven much, and to intentionally limit the life of small engines. Keynesian economics at its worst.
    All that is to say, I don't run regular pump gas in my small four stroke engines either. I seek out good quality, non-ethanol gasoline and store it in 5-gallon cans for use in my motorcycles, motorized bikes, boat motors and other small and/or carbureted engines. Then I add oil to some of it as needed for my two stroke engines.
    I've learned to embrace the concept of seeking out the best fuel for my engines, since I cannot rely on the normal supply chain to deliver fuel that won't kill my engines..shft.

2. ultralight01

ultralight01 New Member

Yeah, I get all of my small engine gas from a specific station that has 100% non-ethanol. It's the best I can get in this small town.

3. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Well-Known Member

Here it is, 7 years later. I still have Snow Tiger, my Diamondback Response MB. The powerful but unreliable GP460 engine has been replaced with a less powerful, super reliable 2.8hp Tanaka 47R powerplant and matching expansion pipe.

If and when they develop a reliable clutch for the 460 engine, I'd be willing to reinstall it into Snow Tiger.

#103 5-7HEAVEN, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    chmn22s likes this.
  4. Kletus

Kletus Member

You can't judge 2-stroke engines by these Chinese low quality 2-strokes. I love 2-strokes and if the Japanese ever build one for bicycles I'll come right back. Right now my bike is powered by a 79cc HF engine that will do about 40 MPH though I have had it there only once. To scary, I keep it down to around 20-30 MPH normally. LOL,dogs love to chase me.

5. TheNecromancer13

40 mph? Scary? C'mon, live a little! You get used to it. Now 70 mph, that's scary. Won't be taking my new build that fast again for a while. Got any pics of your 79cc bike? I like to compare my 79cc to others'. Here it is:
    [​IMG]

My 79cc also tops out at around 40.

chmn22s likes this.