Better Brakes For A Whizzer

GoldenMotor.com

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
What can I do to upgrade braking performance?

After months of neglect sitting in an open lot, "The Whizzard", my 2006 Whizzer bike ran for 25 miles almost flawlessly. However, brakes aren't up to par..bld.

Please help. I'm gonna try to hang a side-pull vee brake in the rear until I hear of something better.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I spoke to the local bike dealer; he asked me to leave "Mr. Whizzard" with him for a week. I don't really want to do that, so leaving just the wheels for him to check out is a good option.

The previous owner said it was the band brake. It seems too small to be a drum brake.

The cables seem to be adjusted well.

I just drilled the carb's phenolic spacer; that really woke the engine up. More engine mods will be done soon..shft.

Looking for Whizzer front disc brake and rear drum brake..duh.

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
hah! you guys are sissys - or im just a big idiot- im running a non-working coaster in the back and nothing up front

back when i first got my whizzer, the rear wheel basically taco'd itsellf, i replaced it with a cheap-o wheel that i bought from a now defunct bike shop.

later on i want to run a disc in the back.

funny, i can stop the thing pretty well even with no brakes

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Lol, you asked for it, we're not sissies.

Reminds me of the time when I first started learning how to ride as a kid. I rode downhill on my balloon-tired cruiser with no brakes and no chain..duh.

I ride fast and I need to stop fast.

I have vee brakes front and rear plus coaster brake on "The Dragon Lady", my twin-engined girlie bike.

"The Iron Dragon" , a Raleigh 5-speed cruiser has two Mitsubishi engines, will have a 203mm downhill racer-type front disc brake and rear vee brake.

"The Whizzard" has dual band brakes, needs excellent stopping capacity before more hp is added..duh.

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I've been thinking about other brake types as well. I need to research traditional types also. I would rather have the look of disc or drum if possible. With my lard butt on it the weight goes over 300 pounds. :D

born2motor

Feb 11, 2009
Grand Haven, MI
I only weigh 140lbs but, if I titan a bicycle I mine as well buy a bike that stops good. I wonder if those disk brakes really live up to their hype. I bet the pads are more expensive to buy.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
One of the reasons for my reluctance to use "traditional" brakes are the black rims on the Whizzer. I'd like to keep them black, if that's possible.
I may end up using that type of brakes, if drum or disc types turn out to be too expensive. Stopping is more important than beauty. :D

born2motor

Feb 11, 2009
Grand Haven, MI
I talked to a guy at my local bicycle shop and I asked him if the disk brakes are really worth it or not. He told me they're worth buying if you ride your bike when the pavement or ground is wet, snowy or muddy. Because all it takes just a splash of water to get on your rim to cause your traditional pads not to grip very well. Even when it's dry out he told me the disk brakes work noticalby better than the traditional style of brakes. Makes sense to me. It's just how much you want to pay for a bike or upgrade to disks for better braking power. especially if you weigh more than the average rider.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
born2motor, I'm going with the biggest disc brake because the bike will be a daily work commuter and have extreme power.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Thanks for the "field research" 5-7. (Can I just call you "Fittyseven" ?)
Have you found out which, or narrowed your search to, any particular set-up ?
:D

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Weedy, call me anything. The 5-7 stands for my 1957 Chevrolet BelAir Sport Coupe, but that's another story.dance1

Seriously considering disc brakes.

With awesome power comes awesome braking.

or else....duh.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Whizzer is offering disc brakes on front and rear, on their newest models. I checked their site and found no mention of rear disc brake parts or upgrades for older bikes.
I'm going to phone them in the morning since emails haven't been an effective way to contact them, or at least to get a response from them. They are very helpful on the phone, and it's faster than typing.
If Quenton has posted about them, I've missed it...Now if I can just get the battery to stay charged. :D

Last edited:

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Here's the straight poop from Whizzer. The new rear disc brake assembly with freewheel sprocket won't fit unless extensive frame cutting and welding are done to accommodate the wider assembly. The rear drum brake assembly (wheel and all) will fit into the older model frames.
Coaster brakes can be overheated by the slight unconscious pressure of resting one's feet with slight backward pressure on the pedals. The friction caused heat will melt the grease from the bearings and allow it to flow into the hub area where the "shoes" make contact.
My Whizzer's rear bearings were sprayed with WD-40 by the previous owner. I cleaned out the hub, but there was a slight film still on the inner surfaces. I must clean out the inner part of the hub, again, this time with a solvent to ensure the contact area is absolutely dry.
As it is right now, the coaster brake is either nothing, or fully locked up when I apply it.
This time I'll do it right. :D

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for the heads up, Weedy.

I just bought a used hydraulic rear disc setup from a forum member for "Mr. Whizzard". If it doesn't clear the frame, I'll adapt it to the front fork of another one of my bikes..bld.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
in case some one wants to know the translation.

In the search for main enemy анону will face in cyberspace with оцифрованными agents, viruses and security systems. In battles emphasis placed on-bouts, in which launched the Brazilian martial art капоэйра. Fighting different wealth acrobatic techniques, using low provisions, strikes legs, pillars and displacement on hands.

Russian to English Translation