Best source for 8 mm head studs...

GoldenMotor.com

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
You got Fastenal stores out there Go to Fastenal.com The got long threaded bolts whack off the head or forget studs use bolts, I'm replacing all Chinese bolts,studs,screws & nuts. You saw how "advanced" Chinese metallurgy is with a certain gas petcock eh Pablo? (c) Walter F.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Pablo,
Did you use acorn nuts on your head studs? I find that these commonly damage the threads on our engines.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
Yes. I AM an idiot. I just kept thinking: Someday I'm going to get some nice 8mm nuts....

Now I will!
No, you aren't. I also learned the hard way about acorn nuts and many other issues that can go (doesn't mean they will) wrong with our chinese 2 stroke kits.

Here is a tip that is risky to fix your bike without having to buy new studs. If you have a thread die, clean the stripped thread out with the die and then install the stud reversed but definitely JB weld the stud on the bottom. Reversed install means damaged thread are screwed/jb welded into block. A cheap quick fix to get you back on the road but I would understand perfectly if you wanted new studs.

Last edited:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
hi paul; i went to fastenall in n.bemd for my all thread a stick of 6mm and 8mm is only about twelve bucks, i cut it with a dremel and then double nut to insert stud, denut, add lock washer and one nut torque and double nut. i had already purchaced the nuts and washers at true value. we dont have tractor supply co. in washington, but dels tractor supply is its subsidiary, they have the rubber roller parts for that nice chain tensioner. we can meet anytime and ill get some oil too. mitch happy 4th

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Why they made these fine thread 8mmX1.0 is beyond me. If it was 8mmX1.25 I would have been riding today! I found the perfect high strength bolts at True Value, but they are 8mmX1.25!!

I'm meeting with the Stude tomorrow - so I could be on the road soon.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Met with Stude13 today - Really cool guy to talk to. He has a heart of gold and about as many projects as all of us!(^)

The bummer is - the threaded rod he has is 8mmX1.25 - so now we know - some HT engines have 8X1.25 studs others have 8X1.00 threads - dang.

I'm a bit stuck right now. But Stude13 did turn me on to a local Fastenal that I didn't know was there.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Pablo- Go to fastenal.com. click on "capscrews" , you want M8 x 100 or 125 (you got me confused now) and you want them 120mm long, your studs are about 122mm long. Cut the heads off if you want but I'm using 'em as capscrews- only one set of threads to loosen. (c) Walter F

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Fastenal Part # (SKU) 38641. When I'm looking at the capscrew this is what is in my browser---http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=38641

Price is a whopping 35 cents--- Don't be fooled by the picture, scroll down and look at the length in the drawing 120mm. I think they have 110mm also. My catalog looks different than yours, you might have to go to the store. (c) Walter F.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah I'll just go to Fastenal tomorrow. It's really close to my work. By every indication, 38641 is a 20 mm bolt.....but I'll hope it's 120mm.

Don't think there is a 110mm, but 120mm should work fine, with a washer or two. I have some nice washers and wave washers.