GoldenMotor.com

CoolBreeze

May 3, 2012
USA
I am looking to buy my first bicycle engine kit for my bicycle. I have been doing lots of research but I want to know what the best kit for $250 or under, including shipping is. I know I want a chain drive engine. Please help. Thank you.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
It's a crap shoot no matter which engine kit you buy (2 stroke china kit anyway).
they are all basically the same thing, and no matter who you buy from, you take a chance on getting a good one or a bad one.
The vendors that sell these kits are just drop shippers, and the engines are built in china using the same methods and parts (with minor internal differences here and there).

you can buy a kit from an e-bay vendor for a little over $100.00, or you can buy a kit from a regular vendor(non e-bay0 for $250.00 plus.
The difference is that with an e-bay vendor, you probably won't get any kind of customer service, and a very limited warranty.
with a bigger vendor you will get some customer service and a warranty....but you end up paying a lot more for basically the same engine kit.
don't beleive vendors who say that they disassemble the engines, re-work them and re-assemble them with better parts and hardware.
There may be one or 2 vendors who actually do this, (which will jack the price way up), but the majority are just drop shippers.
the engine kits come to them in boxes from china, they sit in their warehouse until someone orders one, and then they get shipped out in the same boxes that they came from china in.

in my opinion, you'll want to stay away from an engine that comes with a cns carb, because they are very hard to make work right, and sometimes they can't be made to work.
you'll want to get one with an n.t. carb (which is an old style carb0 because they are very simple and they work great with monor re-jetting and tuning.
you can buy an nt carb for around $12.00 - $15.00 and replace the cns with the nt (if your engine comes with a cns carb). you can also investigate the nt "speed" carb which is supposed to be even better.
But seriously, I would stay away from the cns carbs because all they will do is give you a headache because they are very difficult to make work right.
Just my opinion.

CoolBreeze

May 3, 2012
USA
Thank you so much for your help! If you have purchased a bicycle engine kit, where did you purchase yours from? I've seen reviews of King's bicycle engine kits and they did not look like they were very good.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
well, altho a lot of people will say not to use this vendor, I bought 4 engine kits from boygofast on e-bay, and I have not had one problem out of any of them.
2 engines are on bikes that I currently own and ride, and the other 2 went on bikes that I built for friends.
boygofast offers no real warranty, and a lot of people may disagree with me, but if you have a problem, he is USUALLY pretty good at taking care of it.
BUT, you have to approach him nicely and not accuse him of selling junk.
you just have to say "i bought this engine kit from you and xxx is wrong or broken. What can you do for me to correct this?"
altho i have not had to do this personally, I have read that some people have approched him that way, and they got taken care of. I have also read that other people messaged him and started accusing him of selling junk and blaming him for defects.
those people were pretty much told to go pound sand because he is not the manufacture of these engine kits...he;s just a drop shipper.

of corse this is all just my opinion and i'm sure that there will be others who say different things about this vendor. I'm just saying that I've gotten 4 good engine kits from him, fast shipping, and no issues. I have also bought other misc parts from him with the same great results.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
well, altho a lot of people will say not to use this vendor, I bought 4 engine kits from boygofast on e-bay, and I have not had one problem out of any of them.
2 engines are on bikes that I currently own and ride, and the other 2 went on bikes that I built for friends.
boygofast offers no real warranty, and a lot of people may disagree with me, but if you have a problem, he is USUALLY pretty good at taking care of it.
BUT, you have to approach him nicely and not accuse him of selling junk.
you just have to say "i bought this engine kit from you and xxx is wrong or broken. What can you do for me to correct this?"
altho i have not had to do this personally, I have read that some people have approched him that way, and they got taken care of. I have also read that other people messaged him and started accusing him of selling junk and blaming him for defects.
those people were pretty much told to go pound sand because he is not the manufacture of these engine kits...he;s just a drop shipper.

of corse this is all just my opinion and i'm sure that there will be others who say different things about this vendor. I'm just saying that I've gotten 4 good engine kits from him, fast shipping, and no issues. I have also bought other misc parts from him with the same great results.
Fo'Sho'...that's about the same results you'll get with any seller..."you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar".