Best gearbox to replace hoot

Discussion in 'Hubs, Gearboxes, Sprockets and Chains' started by bdial, Sep 10, 2011.

1. bdial

bdial New Member

I have an HS 4 stroke with the "new" single chain hoot. I keep burning up clutches. I would like to replace the hoot with a good gearbox...durability is more important than price. I understand that my motor has a short shaft and that limits my possibilities. I've researched the forums and haven't really found a good answer to my question. Don't mind being contacted by vendors if there is an answer to my problem.

#1 bdial, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Burning up clutches? What ratio is the gearbox and what sprockets are you using?

3. bdial

bdial New Member

The gearbox is the single chain hoot (new hoot) and I'm told it's 3:1 or 4:1. Rear sprocket is 44T (Grubee GT1 bicycle). I think I'm burning up the clutches because I don't run the motor wide open. I live in a small village and use the bike for cruises around town and to the post office, etc. I think the centrifugal clutch never fully engages.

4. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

You got it. If you have a 4:1, the clutch won't fully engage until roughly 13MPH. If you have 3:1, then 17MPH.
    You could use a larger rear sprocket or of course, a different gearbox.

I'd recommend a 5:1 4G.

5. bdial

bdial New Member

Good information. Thank you.

6. bdial

bdial New Member

Aleman:

I'm having difficulty finding a vendor who sells the Grubee 4g alone, i.e., without the complete kit. Any recommendations?

7. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

I would try calling the good people at bicycle-engines.com and asking them. 1-800-514-8435. They sell the "Honda" 4G by itself, I'd imagine they'd also sell the regular 4G that you need.

8. bdial

bdial New Member

No joy at Bicycle-Engines.com. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Bill

9. The_Aleman

The_Aleman Active Member

Sorry I can't help with the HS 4G. It seems no one is carrying the gearbox by itself anymore.

10. scotto-

scotto- Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

I agree with Aleman, the 4G would be the best choice imho and would further bug bicycle-engines.com a bit more as they used to sell them stand alone not too long ago. I've had no probs with them and would recommend you give them another try.....it's worth a try, good luck.

dnut