BCA "Charleston"

GoldenMotor.com

cliptwings

Aug 22, 2008

Just finished my first 4-stroke. Started with a new BCA Charleston Cruiser bike (built in South Carolina). Replaced seat with a sissy bar and banana seat, changed out handlebars for some mild ape hangers, plus some lights, bar bag and computer. Bought the motor kit from motorizedbicycles.com. It's the same outfit that operates motorizedbicycles.ca in Ontario. I am very happy with them so far. They offered a good price on the kit, and have been very responsive to my questions and concerns.

Breaking in the engine easy, so I didn't go very far or very fast on the test run. But it seems to be running very well so far.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Very nice build....if I may put in my 2 cents. I would paint the red shroud cover black. I feel it takes your eye away from the rest of the bike which is very nice.

GT4494

Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Where did you get the seat and sissy bar? What height are the handlebars?

I have one in the box waiting on me to get my feet back under me ad i love the look.

cliptwings

Aug 22, 2008
Bought everything on eBay.

Banana Seat: toplowrider store $39.99
Handle Bar: closeoutbicycles store $17.99 13" rise, 32" wide
Sissy Bar: peachnmini store $32.98 42"

So far I'm happy with the quality of these accessories.

GT4494

Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Thanks. It is funny that I got the bike and engine kit in July and now I have pics to see how things go together.

I live in Charleston so it was a no-brainer to get the bike. :)

cliptwings

Aug 22, 2008
One thing to keep in mind if you change out the handlebars to ape hangers: you will need longer cables! I needed longer cables to reach the rear derailer, plus the front and rear brake.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That's has 26" wheels? The bobbed rear fender looks great with the banana seat. The sissy bar seems to balance out the big apes. You built a really cool motorbike without a lot of expense or fabrication.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Holy wow, those are 26"s?!? I bet you feel a lot younger riding that thing. At first I just thought it was an awful small engine, now I see you threw miracle grow on an old Schwinn 'crate...lol very nice man, nicer now that I see it clearly, very very cool!

GT4494

Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
I know its been a while but mine is up and running great.

The only thing I didn't like was the gearshift being moved to the left and upside down. I guess I'm a little anal. LOL I tried a thumbthrottle with the shifter left in the stock position but didn't like it.

I settled on a 7 speed down tube mount snifter mounted on the right handle bar on the vertical. It seems more aesthetic to me and works great. Lets face it how many times do we pedal and shift gears when we have a motor!! Now there is a running "Charleston" motorized bike in Charleston, SC. :)

GT4494

Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
Oh, my second build that is on the drawing board is a Micargi Mustang (Stretch cruiser) with an electric start Tilletson. That should be a handful and closest thing to a scooter I would get..

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I love the looks of the 20 inch banana seat bikes, but they are far less comfortable to ride than the ones with bigger wheels. Mine has a 24 inch rear and 20 inch front wheel.

GT4494

Oct 18, 2015
Georgia
The only problem with the 26" bikes is that when you get older and most of your leg / ankle joints are from wally world, its hard to just "throw a leg over the seat". That being said once you get up and on it it fits so nice...