Bad clutch bearing

GoldenMotor.com

BlueSmoker

May 7, 2016
Finland
The balls fell out from my clutch bearing so i have ordered a new one. I will get them tomorrow. But do you know if there are some better types of clutch bearing i could replace to? Have it happened to you that that some balls just falls off?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
nope, there is a stop ring in the hub to prevent it from being pressed too far, but I'd guess yours wasn't pressed far enough by factory

Only thing to look out for is fine, steel wires sticking out of clutch pads that can get into bearing and lock it up (trim with scissors every so often if you see them, or replace the pads).

BlueSmoker

May 7, 2016
Finland
nope, there is a stop ring in the hub to prevent it from being pressed too far, but I'd guess yours wasn't pressed far enough by factory

Only thing to look out for is fine, steel wires sticking out of clutch pads that can get into bearing and lock it up (trim with scissors every so often if you see them, or replace the pads).
Okay, so what is the best way to press the bearing after i have put the balls in it?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
best way is to order the hub assembled - I would never do that pressing job again

if one has to do it, grease is not a good idea for holding bearings in place unless one doesn't have a mag rotor to stick to the steel to magnetize it enough to hold the bearings, if using grease, it is a good idea to wash in out before using it to keep pads clean when running

as far as actual pressing goes, if a bearing press is not available, one could try a large vise, but the press must be slow and gentle to keep bearings in place

if I didn't have one, I might try a bottle jack pressing a long piece of wood up under the bottom of my workbench

BlueSmoker

May 7, 2016
Finland
I don't know if it is assembled but i hope so. If it is not, is it only for me to put the balls in it and then some grease? I don't really understand how those balls can remain inside there with only grease, when there is no type of border.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
no, but not understanding how the grease might work *may* indicate a lack of enough experience to get it right

anything can be answered by google, but some things require understanding also

BlueSmoker

May 7, 2016
Finland
So, no i got this bearing. I am going to go to a mechanic so they can put it together. Do you think that it is an easy and cheap job to do?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
that would depend on mechanics in your area, but I suspect it may cost more than just buying one that is assembled

possibly this one - "http://www.gasbike.net/collections/clutch-parts/products/complete-assembled-clutch"

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
be aware that there are a couple diff thicknesses of woodruff keys for these - new one may not be same size as old one and slot in shaft

this is not a problem, though, as it will fit the shaft OK, but may just need a touch of filing to get the key to fit nicely

BlueSmoker

May 7, 2016
Finland
be aware that there are a couple diff thicknesses of woodruff keys for these - new one may not be same size as old one and slot in shaft

this is not a problem, though, as it will fit the shaft OK, but may just need a touch of filing to get the key to fit nicely
I think i got it fixed now. Used some grease. But the engine won't start. Maybe too mutch fuel, with too mutch oil (1:16). Will try again tomorrow.