Are the wheels on clutch not lined up right?

GoldenMotor.com

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Not ideal but it’s not going to keep it from running. What kind of clutch problems did you have?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That won't be a problem, I've got one like that. Ironically my best running engine is the one with the gear offset, it also has crankshaft movement in and out. After I rebuilt it and found the crankshaft run out I put it on a shelf as a spare, a couple of years ago I built a 24" bike and decided to try the engine, it runs better than my main bike.

Reactions: daveet6666

daveet6666

Nov 3, 2015
Omaha ne
That won't be a problem, I've got one like that. Ironically my best running engine is the one with the gear offset, it also has crankshaft movement in and out. After I rebuilt it and found the crankshaft run out I put it on a shelf as a spare, a couple of years ago I built a 24" bike and decided to try the engine, it runs better than my main bike.
Thanks Greg last time I had bike out over year ago my back tire froze up for 2nd time caused me a flat tire and along walk home do you have idea what that's all about and thanks I appreciate you

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
When you dissemble the rear wheel you have to be careful, you can get the bearing “crush” wrong and cause bearing failure, this is mostly found on single speed wheels where the brake arm has to be removed to install the sprocket. A simple and helpful way is to put the axle in a vise with the brake arm on top, use a backup wrench to hold the bearing cone/nut to keep it from moving, take off the nut and arm, install the sprocket then put the arm back on without moving the wheel. That gets it as close as it was before you started.

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Did you remove the front sprocket cover with the clutch arm in it and check if the chain is locked up inside?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you find the chain bound up behind the chain cover your chain tension was probably too loose, it take some time to learn what each bike needs.