Anyone have any suggesstions on increasing low end torque? Help me out.

GoldenMotor.com

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
Does anyone have any suggesstions on increasing low end torque? I have a 34t sprocket, and kinda want to up my Acceleration a bit. However, I dont want to damage the engine, or sacrifice high end torque. I had a few in mind, Getting the Deluxe NSC Carburetor Kit from Deluxe NSC Carburetor Kit - $49.99 , and getting a Boost Bottle. I did read a littlebit on this website, and heard cutting the exaust, etc. but I heard its not that big of a difference. Also forgot to mention my setup is really light, im light, my bike w/ engine is like 50-60lbs, and im like 135. Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont mind slight modifications, I really do wanna up my acceleration, but not sacrifice my top speed, Sofar I got up to 36 mph, and felt like I could go more but didnt, I was only on my 2nd tank, however, my engine really begins to move, and pick up NICE! after about 18mph. So anything you guys have in mind?

pedalpower

Aug 5, 2008
pedal forest, pedal. seriously, you are probably needing a jackshaft or something cause you can't have it all unless you can change your gear inches.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Unless that carb has a mixture screw on it in addtion to the idle speed screw, I'd pass. You can get a K&N or other filter for a lot less than 50 dollars!

Don't waste money on a boost bottle, they are proven to be a scam, or imagined performance booster at best.

You can; optimize your mixture, match your ports to the intake and exhaust, lap your head, remove one of the base gaskets if your bicycle motor came with two installed, cut/drill, or remove your baffle, open up your air filter cover, and balance your wheels.

Also, after break-in, your bike will be smoother and faster.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
The boost bottle on mine made my engine run smooth especially in the bottom end but it did nothing as far as performance so it's not really a performance mod.
You say it really starts to pull up top. That power band if it happens sooner would make it feel like it's pulling stronger would it?
Here's what I recommend. Either get a 40 tooth so you'll get better bottom end but yes you will lose top end OR get Ghost0's shifter kit.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I agree with BGJ, dont waste your money on a boost bottle. Take the same money and buy an expansion chamber.
I couldn't say it any better. I fell into the hype of the boost bottle and IMO didn't do anything for me. Actually here's my Testimonial:
The wonderful guys I ride with pulled a joke on me a while back. Before we went on a ride, one of my buddies put a ball bearing in my bottle line. Half way thru the ride while ranting and raving how well the bottle worked. They started busting up and told me I had something in my line. I pulled out the ball bearing and the bike ran exactly the same and of course I was the joke of the day!rotfl
The only reason I kept it on was I didn't want to buy another manifold.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I responded in the other thread on the other board.

Get it good breathing on both ends and good spark.

Use a good racing oil mixed stoutly 20-25:1, maybe with a little Castor oil....tune the carb as appropriate.

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC
I would definalyly modify my/a exhaust pipe but unfortunatly im not a welder, and do not have access to any welders. lOl. If I increase the length of my intake manifold, will that help? So any cheap ways to modify exaust? I hear something called "Porting" what is that?? How can I do it?

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I responded in the other thread on the other board.

Get it good breathing on both ends and good spark.

Use a good racing oil mixed stoutly 20-25:1, maybe with a little Castor oil....tune the carb as appropriate.

Pablo

Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
You can do the crude e-clip movements for some midrange fuel/air changes, you can chuck up your needle and taper it a bit more or you can buy Delorto jets (or fill and drill). There is a thread on these details somewhere.....