anyone ever build one of these?

GoldenMotor.com

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Hello again good forum members. Eventhough I am not even finished with my first build, it does run and I ride almost daily, I am thinking stoopid hard about building another.
I had gone over to my step brothers house and was happily telling him all about my cranbrook with ht bolted on and he took me out back and pulled a cruiser from a pile of bikes he had laying in his yard. Its a president tour de hood cruiser. Told me I could take it home if I wanted it. I happily poped the trunk on my hundai and loaded it up and brought it home \m/. I'm unsure of how big it is exactly but its at least a 24 if not a 26in bike. Has factory bobed fenders. The crank pops when trying to pedal it. It is a POS to say the least but the frame look like its begging to have a ht bolted in there. Ill be tuning it up tomorrow to see if I can't work out the bugs and at least get it pedal worthy. It deff needs a new seat and some grease in the bearings. May swap out cranks with the ones off my sledgehammer frame I recently trashed as that apears to be where popings comming from.
Has anyone built one of these bikes before? It looks perfect for a MB ;) upon searching google I got nothing about the bike. Everything that comes up is about tour de france. - lame -
Ill be posting pictures to my album tomorrow as I rework it (am unable to post pics to thred b/c I can't resize them on my phone)

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
pictures thanks to dan i am able to use my computer to post again \m/

swapped out the hurt your arse seat for the cranbrooks original springer. other than that no changes just yet - is a 26in bike \m/ got original whitewall tires to go on it as tires it has currently are hella dry rotted. im not liking the handlebars it has either. makes it stoopid hard to turn might be swapping out the crannys bars for these as the cranbrooks bars are a little shorter and have a little different rise. popping sound was super easy fix - chain was loose and is stoopid rusty. i got a new one that i had from sledgehammer build and never got to use as it was too short for that bike \m/ bonus \m/

Attachments

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
Neat looking bike. I wonder if it is not a bike brand "Tour De Hood" with a model of "President", but some other bike that someone put those decals on for the president of a Tour De Hood ride?

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
i have no clues about this bike has no kind of numbers or other decals than the tour de hood and president. google is absolutely no help. stuck a spare ht block i had laying around and its a perfect fit.

at the very least imma pirate the fenders for my cranbrook. would be nice to know what the frame is made of. welds look decent enough and rust is a minimum. wheels are junk but new wheels are no big deal. might be saving this one for pedal only

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
From the rust on the fork and looks like a spot on the chainstay on the chain side, I would say hi tensile steel. A magnet would tell you for sure ;)

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Ahhhh the tank - it will deff get a rear mount tank setup. Ill most likley clone biknuts fuel bottle behind the seat tank. I have dug that setup ever since I first laid eyes on it. Matter o fact I already have fuel bottles and cages just lacking a petcock. \m/

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Yay got a few new update pics - it seems like forever since I last posted on this bike.
New white walls and bent springer front end. I'm digging this bike more and more. Now just need to sell other bike to fund this build \m/

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Update - mocked up bike today. Decided imma keep a top tube mount gallon tank I have. I just can't spare the skrilla for the tank I really want. Got a few more parts to buy yet - hub adapter w/ sprocket, throttle handle, petcock, chain, clutch handle, different bars, the list seems to go on forever. Still trying to sell my current build to pay for new bike.

I'm wondering if I cut the seatpost downtube shorter to drop the seat nother few inches... The way it sits now looks a little high to me, and I think the seat would look better between the tank and the rear fender almost level with the top tube.

Penut tank is going to pose a bit of a challenge to mount. First problem is the bend in the top tube, and second is the gusset that is welded in between the top tube and down tube. I'm thinking I will just drill out a hole big enough to get the front mount through. The back mount should still be able to function normally on the tail end of that gusset. And hopefully that will bring the front of the tank down level where it should be.

More pics to come as I get more parts \m/

Attachments

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I only have one comment...

Riding ANY motorized bicycle with just a lame back coaster brake is foolish, trusting even that with some old used bikes back wheel is certain injury just waiting to happen.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day you will need to stop fast and won't be able to and pay the price with injury if not death.

Or not, it's your dice, feel'n lucky? Toss 'em.

lambofgod121980

May 31, 2012
new caney TX
Have no fear - will be investing 15bucks at my local bike shop in porter for at least 1 hand brake. Ill be mounting it to the rear b/c the bent springer front end won't allow me to mount that style brake. Maybe one day ill be able to afford a disk brake setup. Might invest in one of those hub kits that mounts the drive sprocket to the hub and also has a drum brake.... But for now coaster will get me by \m/ >.< \m/

donb4103

Oct 7, 2011
Chickasha,Oklahoma
What you have there is a special bike !! It was originally a Firmstrong Rebel from a few years ago. Firmstrong had a bunch of these bikes like that for a big promotion in Detroit for their Tour De Hood ride. A lot of the parts on your bike came from other bikes but the frame is for sure an older Firmstrong Rebel. The newer ones have a different gusset and a more rounded top rail to give it a smoother look. Yours is probably one of very few that has survived.