Another Chopper Build

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom; Perhapse I missed it but where did you source your tank from? LOOKS GOOD!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/P-Nut-Gas-T...ies&hash=item257c80c740&vxp=mtr#ht_177wt_1172

A little pricy but I had almost as much $ in the tank I built for the Captain America bike. It is a nice tank; well made and essentially ready for primer/paint right out of the box. I had to fabricate a front mount but that was cake. The rear mount fit the top bar perfectly.
Thanks for the compliment.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I played around with some masking tape and gold metal flake today and did some ghost flames on the tank. They didn't come out exactly like I wanted. My air brush wasn't working right or maybe the flakes were clogging it up but these will suffice until warmer weather when I can sand the tank and try it again. But, you get the idea anyway.

Tom

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks guys.
I wanted you to see it out in the daylight and then I was setting in the garage last night and the two choppers were next to each other and I thought they looked cool and offered a comparison. Enjoy.

The new bike is running better every time I ride it. Still no speedo so I'm not sure of the milage but probably well under 100. Our weather just isn't cooperating.

Tom

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
Just a thought, but maybe it is getting crowded in your garage with too many bikes. If by chance you wanted to give one away and if by a wild chance it was me you were giving it to, and if you said I could choose my favorite one than I'd like to have the new black one, please. Ha! Seriously, your Captain America has a lot of flash and is a wonderful build, but I'd pick the new black one. Less flash, but a whole lot of class.
SB

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Tom, is her head light one of your converted emergency lights?

Really think you should consider making em for sale. Not as an actual business but build at your leisure and put up for sale.

LOL, as Carol says; "well, keeps ya off the streets and out'a the bars"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Unfortunately that was the last of those old steel lamp housings. I scrounged those from some 70s vintage fixtures that were being replaced with new fire department approved ones. I originally had 6 but I've used them all, (or gave them to valuable friends :)). The next bike I'll have to find another style. Each bike is different and the mounts would have to be custom fabricated for a particular bike.

Tell Carol that I have enough to do. Don't need anymore projects and I do my drinking at home :)

Silver Bear, Nothing would make my wife happier than for me to get rid of one or two bikes. The garage is indeed full, what with her car, my hot rod, four motor bikes, two pedal bikes, lawn mower, snow blower and the rest of the stuff that normally collects in a garage. But, I don't even entertain the thoughts of selling one. Nevertheless, if I did give one away it couldn't go to a better home than you. I'll keep it mind for when I make out my will :)

Tom

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Tom,
I was kidding, of course. The only reason my garage isn't full is that I don't have a garage. I guess I have too many bikes, my brother thinks so when he points out that I can only ride one at a time. True. And when he suggests I sell one or two I know he's being sensible, but I'm not a real practical guy I guess. I didn't build them to sell. I tend to give things away instead.

I'd like to think at least a couple of my bikes are legacy builds... something to pass down to my son or some other relative who would value a bike I'd built, partly because I'm the one who built it. It would be a cool thing someday if one of my bikes was treasured and with a note of pride it was said, "my grandpa built this."

And as I look at your fine pair of choppers that's what I see... legacy bikes to pass along to a younger generation who will appreciate the skill and artistry of the old fellow who made them. I'd like to think that some of the other great builds I see on this forum will also become family treasures handed down as a legacy.

Mighty fine choppers, Tom.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Back in December Paul hosted a Holiday Photo Contest and my entry was a before and after picture of my mother-in-law setting on this bike by the Christmas tree when I first brought it home and a photo of her at 16 setting on an old cruiser.

I thought you guys might like to see a follow up with her and the finished bike.
Now let me ask you, what 89 year old woman do you know who would say, "Wow, the forks are really extended out there, aren't they?"

When she was in her teens she worked at a bicycle shop here in Denver before becoming a nurse and working at the Veteran's hospital here. She's a grand lady and I admire and love her. Just wanted to share this with the members.

Tom

Attachments