And so it begins

GoldenMotor.com

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Don't even think about the common-place peanut tank supplied in most engine kits. That straightbar frame cries out for a pucker stainless tank. They're available.

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Tanks for these frames are available from a couple of different sources. Sportsman Flyer in the US sell them. They're also available from China, currently listed - separately, along with frame and springer forks - on AliExpress. Same frame/tanks are sometimes listed by vendors who advertise on this forum when they're in stock. I'm in the UK, so I bought my frame/tank/forks (pictured) from the Far East via an eBay seller. Cheaper via AliExpress - for me anyhow. A search for 'Motorized bicycle gas tank' should come up trumps.
I'm old school and can't do links, sorry. Good luck...

FSCN3433.JPG

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Great frame...my personal favorite style..doesn't look like a Schwinn , not sure how the others compare in size, but you cant go wrong with a Sportsman Flyer tank in a straight Bar. As far as engines...I've tried getting every imaginable size...besides obscure motors a Whizzer will fit (barely) 79cc, china girl, 3hp briggs/kawasaki or smaller.

Attachments

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I’ve got a guy who can make me a tank like the one sportsman sells for about $150 cheaper.
I was thinking 4stroke but I hate how they look. Can I paint the transmission cover and shroud so it doesn’t look so lawnmowerish?

Reactions: fasteddy

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
None better than Sportsman.
Still, $200 buys you a pristine, off the shelf, stainless tank shipped to the US from AliExpress.
Here's hoping your guy's home made tank works out for you.
Your bike, your choice. Get creative. No rules on what you can or can't paint to suit your taste.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Mags, you just won motorized bikes, that looks perfect. is that an ordinary 4 stroke with a shift kit with the shroud off? if I go 4 stroke, that's what I want to do. - Jackshaft with a Shimano nexus 3 speed hub, roller brakes front and rear lights...the whole megillah. Sure, it will take time and money but I want to do it right. I have a second bike I may just slap a 80cc 2 stroke to ride while I'm slowly collecting parts.

Can you still pull start the engine like that?

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Good news with your bought stainless tank. Was that via cnol? Just curious.
Building, or having 'some guy' build a one-off in-frame tank always starts off with the best intentions - and more often than not ends up going dowhill from there. When it comes to home welded tanks, for every successfull outcome on this forum there are often umpteen more miserable failures.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
It’s on a slow boat from China so I should have it in October, hopefully.

Would forks from those Schwinn chopper bikes fit? I have a chance to get one for 45 bucks. I’d use the forks and part off the rest.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I saw a guy selling a kit on Craigslist for 100 bucks. Plus it was attached to an included Electra townie!
So if I sell the townie I’ll actually make a profit on this build.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
That's a good deal for a spare parts supply, used kits can end up costing more than a new one unless your familiar with them...its still a deal at 100

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
The bike retails for 500.
I was gonna sell it but then I rode it around the neighborhood (after I removed the engine)
I’m keeping the bike and selling my road bike that I never ride anymore