analog speedo?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by oldtimer54, Oct 13, 2011.

1. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

Anyone know where to buy a analog speedo that will work with a high speed (50 mph+) motorizedbike?

2. thegnu

thegnu New Member

wow check out summit racing . all speedo's use the same cable you may have to get a bicycle cable an drive an with minor mods it will work.

3. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

Iam trying to build a bike that I can reg but I need a spedo and from everything I read the pyramid brand unit is junk. Ive installed a running/brake light a nice 10 watt LED headlight, a 100 watt generater with a charger/regulater, a 3AH 12 volt battery put it into a waterproof box on my rear rack but I need a spedo to get legit. Sooooo any ideas as what I can do? (yes this is just a long winded BUMP lol)

#3 oldtimer54, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  4. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

There stuff costs waaaay to much but thanks. (I wouldnt know where to start with the mods I would need?)

5. thegnu

thegnu New Member

Ok option no.2 if you were to scavenge one from a auto salvage yard, I have had these units out before from an 88 jeep wrangler after its out of the dash its housing is approx 4 inch in diameter an about the same in depth , this may work for you . I hope this is a good lead for you , an I would be happy to walk you through the mods to make it fit .

6. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

Ok start walking wink.

7. azbill

azbill Active Member

I have heard whizzer speedos hold up to our speeds ;)

8. thegnu

thegnu New Member

lmao, your gonna have to wait till I can ride mine to ya I'm to lazy to walk!

9. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

Sounds good but I would have no idea how to mod my HF 6.5 HP powered bike to run one unless someone starts walking. (me through the how to lol)

10. F_Rod81

F_Rod81 Dealer

Your going to want to find a "Whizzer" speedometer. The dimensions are virtually the same, and the whizzer speedometer is much more accurate then one from a supplier or from off ebay. It might be higher priced then other analog speedometers, but it's accuracy is within 0.5 mhp.

11. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

Sounds good but how would I hook it up to my bike?

12. tim turbo

tim turbo Member

pino.Forget a bout it! You do not need to go 50 MPH, buy a cheap speedo and call it good. YOU ARE RIDEING A BICYCLE THEY DO NOT GO 50 MPH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Nuff said

#12 tim turbo, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  13. oldtimer54

oldtimer54 Member

14. mesmith

mesmith New Member

15. mesmith

mesmith New Member

Pirate Cycle has them for $15.00

16. bandito

bandito New Member

Olds getting this registered as a M/C if i'm correct. 6.5 hp............

17. anim8r

anim8r New Member

the pic's fuzzy, but isn't that the one everybody sells that says SPORTS at the bottom & has a racing flag on it?

I got an analog speedo (different brand/model) & it just won't work on a motorbike from what I can tell. The odometer works because it's a direct gear-driven connection. But the speedometer part has this really sensitive wheel balancing on the needle's hub, & it's hooked up to a spring. From what I can tell, the cg puts out such strong vibrations that this delicate little mechanism is hopelessly overpowered. The vibration frequencies can do some weird things, like make the needle run inverse to your speed... it shows you slowing down as you speed up.

I could be wrong,, but that's what it looks like. Maybe I've just got a crappy speedo, or mine's broken, or I'm riding though some Bermuda Triangle-type zone. But I have read complaints from other cg riders saying that the most common retro speedos are just no good.

18. wayne z

wayne z New Member

I have used several of the $15 speedos. They are very inaccurat in speed. Typicaly at 35 mph they say 50.
    In my avitar photo above, I'm actualy doing 38 mph.
    I recently bought an old Puch mo-ped speedo off e-bay for about $20. It was marked in MPH, and I tried it on the cheapo's drive cable, and I was suprised to find that it is very accurate.

#18 wayne z, Dec 25, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  19. donphantasmo

donphantasmo Member

Don't know if you've tried this, but

Old Skool Mechanical Speedo

Lemme know if that would work. I'm actually looking at this for myself..

20. CTripps

CTripps Active Member

Yeah, if those work I could use a couple myself, if the RPM/strain of the MAB doesn't hurt them. From the pic it reads to 60KPH, I don't exceed that (often), so it might work out.