Aluminum bike, Dax engine, SBP Shifter, New Powder

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I recently disassembled my bike and powder coated every piece I could. I PC'd the cylinder, head, ( I didn't do the lower assembly, it is painted) breather, manifold, engine covers, all the SBP shifter parts, the crank arms, chainring, motor mounts, exhaust pipe, clutch cable spring, clutch lever, brake levers, all high gloss black. The breather is red. My photo skills don't do the powder coating justice. If you click on the pic after it opens, to zoom in, they are a little clearer.

I bought this bike at K-Mart. It had a couple of scratches on it as most of their bikes do. I asked for the manager and told him the bike was damaged but I would buy it at a reduced price. He sold it to me for $99.99. It was marked $140.00. I saved $50.00 on a Schwinn Searcher the same way. It doesn't hurt to ask sometimes.

Also I found when I stripped the paint only the front half of this bike is aluminum! The rear is steel.

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
That frame is a tight fit and you did a great job.
I like the coil being mounted below the engine.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Very sweet, definitely a tight fit. If I may make a suggestion, you may want a half link for your jackshaft to chainring chain. Looks pretty loose and it doesn't appear you have much room to slide the engine up to tighten it. Glad you were able to get your freewheel off the crank for PC. LOL

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Very nice work. I don't know how you managed to get the parts back onto the axle of the jackshaft, it must of been a lot of work with the powder coat on there.
Oh, by the way, one of us has the chains on the wrong way at the crankset. I hope it's you...lol

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I say it looks very, very nice.

I'll bet it goes like the wind. Looks to me like your chain tension is fine, but maybe it looks loose to Ghost-Ilikemychainsupertight-0! The set-up looks good, but I don't know why you have a 2nd lock collar outside on the left side of your jackshaft:confused:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Now I have the 4th coolest shifter bike, Datz510, Clotho and now i-paint got me beat.

Nice chain adjustment.:)

Pablo, he is using the collar on the left and the small sprocket on the right to capture the bearings. He has his bearings swapped around. Probably was helpful with 1st gen kits but with the new stuff not necessary but functional.

Man I want to ride that thing. It looks fast standing still. Great Job!

i-paint

May 24, 2008
Very nice work. I don't know how you managed to get the parts back onto the axle of the jackshaft, it must of been a lot of work with the powder coat on there.
Oh, by the way, one of us has the chains on the wrong way at the crankset. I hope it's you...lol
The ends of the jack shaft aren't powder coated where they go through the bearings and where the small sprocket sits. Don't know what you mean about the chains?

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I say it looks very, very nice.

I'll bet it goes like the wind. Looks to me like your chain tension is fine, but maybe it looks loose to Ghost-Ilikemychainsupertight-0! The set-up looks good, but I don't know why you have a 2nd lock collar outside on the left side of your jackshaft:confused:
Actually it probably isn't necessary with the new beefier plates i have now. With the early plates it helped keep the left bearing in place. It tried to walk to the left, even bent the left plate.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
It isn't my bike but I can tell you emphatically that it isn't 80cc!

-There aren't any 80cc bikes. The Chinese engines are advertised as 80cc but the biggest is really 69cc if I recall correctly.

One thing that is interesting about this bike is the pull start. That is an option but you usually need the wider crankset to accommodate the greater width. I'm guessing that the engine is high enough that the wider crankset isn't needed.

Great bike! I really like it!

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
I'm pretty sure I have the exact same frame.. tis why I asked the size.. 66cc(whatever's) are a bit bigger than the "48cc's".. if that's a "48cc" I doubt mine will fit...

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
Don't know what you mean about the chains?
you have the motor chain going through the bigger crank sprocket which = more torque.. but less speed..

Also I found when I stripped the paint only the front half of this bike is aluminum! The rear is steel.
Yeah, the back is steal and the front forks.. just tested with a magnet..

Last edited:

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
Thanks for the info. think I'll actually take mine for a ride today..(still waiting on motor..)

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
so, basically you have JB Weld holding your engine on? wish I would have found that post sooner...