Alabama Law?

GoldenMotor.com

RONNY_ODELL

May 27, 2008
Arab Al. (close to Huntsville Al.
:confused:any one here know about the law about our bikes here? motor size or speed limit that may make the bike a mopped? or any thing that i need to get registered ? so forth and so on ? any info hepls thanx .... i tried the dmv but they said they would return mu call but never did ,,,,, (again ) thanx guys

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I could not find anything about Motorized Bicycles or assisted Bicycles for Alabama. I could also not find what they consider a moped. Most DMV web site's will have something about Moped's, assisted bicycle's, or Motorized bicycle.

The only thing I could find was "Other Vehicle's" This includes scooter's and moped's.

Alabama Other Types of Motorcycles - AL Scooter & Moped Info - DMV.ORG

You might want to check with your local law inforcement, call, stop by, e-mail, they may be better off telling you then DMV.

I hope this was some help

:ride:

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
I called the Dept. of Public Safety in Alabama. After bulding my bike I wanted to be legal. Talked to a State Trooper. Motorized bicycles are considered to be motor driven cycles which have to be registered in Alabama, to be street legal. You well have to get your bike inspected by a State Trooper for safety, then try to get it titled just like a motorcycle for a tag, and then get insurance for it. Not really worth the hassle.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I guess it depends on what part of Alabama your in. The local paper did an article on us and they interviewed the city police. The police stated that as long as we wore helmets and practiced safety along with following the rules of the road, everything was A OK! It was considered a bicycle. Kind of confusing, huh?

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
Civilized,
Where in Al. are you from?
I'm from Alabaster, thats about 20 miles
south of B'ham.
You said us - are there many MB riders up your way?
I thought me and toker ace where the only
ones here.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I'm in Sylacauga. Just down 280 from you. There are a few others in my area. I don't know them, but I see them sometimes in passing. The Daily Home newspaper did an article this past summer about it.

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
We need to try to get some more people
together in this area for a ride.
I'm just getting started in this
hobby. I finished my second build yesterday.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I'm ready when you are! I have made contact with toker. I think he is around Anniston. My mother, of all people, got us in touch. I think you will find this hobby VERY!!!! addictive. I don't know what it is, but I'm hooked. I've been into it for a couple of years.

amealnet

Sep 19, 2008
Just ride your MB anywhere you want and dont worry about what might happen, just have fun, this is AMERICA!

aero07

Oct 12, 2009
Alabama
Your right this is AMERICA.
As long as you have money for the tickets
you don't have to worry. I was just repeating what I
was told by a STATE TROOPER.

Update : Told by the Alabama Dept. of Revenue ( tags and titles) that they don't title
bicycles. They said there's no way to make them legal. That's kind of strange
because a bicycle with motor attached is part of the definition of a motor driven
cycle in the Title Code of Alabama Section 32 which just happens to be required to have a tag!!! Go figure.

Last edited: