advice on motor size for friction drive bike

GoldenMotor.com

Lane

Apr 10, 2021
so it looks to me like you guys were all using rear wheel drive setups with front racks for most of your gear. Does all the gear on the front of the bike make it hard to steer?

Jarrod

Jun 13, 2019
so it looks to me like you guys were all using rear wheel drive setups with front racks for most of your gear. Does all the gear on the front of the bike make it hard to steer?
No it is not hard to steer . What kind of frame will you plan on using? I like front motors too I've never done that one though. I used the weed eater one as well. that was the lightest of all the builds. Especially if you plan on still having a bicycle at the end of it. it was a little more than 7 lbs homelite weed eater 27cc, bicycle peg, aluminum inch and a half angle metal. and a turnbuckle .old brake lever throttle. To Try to get back to that same level of dependability smallest motor we could find was 79 cc's you no longer have a bicycle it's a tank. The one I sent you a picture of I'll be using next year 2022 Florida to California. This time the build is bulletproof.

Lane

Apr 10, 2021
I will try to post a picture of the bike later. It's nothing special just a ordinary fairly light mountain style bike I got at a thrift store. I'm no bike expert but it feels pretty well built for a cheaper bike. It rides and shifts nice.

Reactions: Jarrod

Lane

Apr 10, 2021
So you had trouble with finding a moter that was reliable under 79CCs? I'm planning to use the honda gxh50. My hope is that the newer honda motors are as reliable as the old ones. My dad bought a new honda motor for hs wood splitter last year and it has given him nothing but trouble while 3 other older honda motors he has are incredibly reliable. so that makes me a bit nervous about a new motor but hopefully it was just a bad one by some freak chance.

How well did the little 27cc bike do on hills or carrying loads?

Lane

Apr 10, 2021
I’m going to try to post a picture of the bike I plan on using. I haven’t ever done it before so we’ll see if it works.
9DDE97FC-985F-434D-9D0B-B73B7486676B.jpeg

Jarrod

Jun 13, 2019
So you had trouble with finding a moter that was reliable under 79CCs? I'm planning to use the honda gxh50. My hope is that the newer honda motors are as reliable as the old ones. My dad bought a new honda motor for hs wood splitter last year and it has given him nothing but trouble while 3 other older honda motors he has are incredibly reliable. so that makes me a bit nervous about a new motor but hopefully it was just a bad one by some freak chance.

How well did the little 27cc bike do on hills or carrying loads?
The 2017 CC wasn't so bad I live in Florida so it climbed every Hill I live around you did have to help it up the bridges. I used it on 120 mile trip I would recommend it for a road bike type build where the bicycle is still light and fast using the motor to cover large flats. The problem with the 50cc Honda or even the Chinese 50cc is how are you going to get power off of it it has a clutch on the face side. the smallest motor you can get with a shaft output that I know of is a 79cc

Jarrod

Jun 13, 2019
I’m going to try to post a picture of the bike I plan on using. I haven’t ever done it before so we’ll see if it works. View attachment 106923
We'll seeing the bike that you're starting with and the fact that you haven't built any other ones. I would certainly recommend the weed eater bike there's plenty of YouTube videos on it .you'll appreciate the simplicity and after you fiddle around with it you can try the bigger motor it's the same system and so far you had $20 into a Craigslist home lite weed eater and $10 in parts and pieces if they aren't already laying in your garage . The 79cc is $99 at harbor freight. Your Honda motors almost $300 and it ain't got nothing you need. You get the weed eater bike done by this afternoon and riding it tomorrow it was still be cheaper just to run to Walmart and get a homelite weed eater and a bicycle peg .

Lane

Apr 10, 2021
I may build one with the weed eater motor. We’ll see. The Honda GXH50 is a industrial style engine with a shaft output and is much different than the GX50 used on the staton kits and the like. I would be happy to use the 79 cc harbor freight motor but up here we have to stay under 51ccs if we don’t want to have to title the bike