Acts like it wants to start, but doesnt...

GoldenMotor.com

MRayNC

Jul 25, 2008
I got my motor and installed it and it ran great for two and a half
days. Then on my way to work I stopped at a stop sign and the motor cut
off, which I thought was no big deal When I tried to start it back up
all it would do was sputter but never start. So I removed the spark plug
and cleaned it and regapped it. Nothing changed. I removed the
carburetor and emptied the excess fuel and made sure there was no
blockage in the lines. Still won't start. So I took off the exhaust and
cleaned it out tighten all bolts and nuts on the motor and readjusted
the clutch and it still won't start. I also disconnected the kill switch
thinking it may have shorted out but that didn't do anything either. It
acts like it wants to start but it just sputters and dies. I am
stumped.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Air leak? Remove the manifold and make a new gasket out of gasket paper or at least coat both sides of the old gasket with some RTV silicone.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
try a differant sparkplug run a gap of 0.017 to 0.025 make sure the conection on the wiring isn't loose or shorted out. some of the guys have found that the plug wire will be almost ready to fall out of the cdi if it is screw it back in

MRayNC

Jul 25, 2008
Okay, wanted to try everything suggested and hoped that one of them worked before I replied. I did use the RTV silicone and although I can tell there is greater compression, it did not fix my problem.

I also replaced the CDI and the spark plug, rechecked the mixture, checked all of my wires and I still have the same results. It just sputters. I did readjust the clutch and although it sputters it acts like it wants to catch but it's just not.

It says in the instruction to put a little dab of grease at the mesh gear area after adjusting the clutch. Well I packed it full of grease thinking more grease would be
better. Do you think that could be causing my problem, because it was
the next day when it stopped running. If so what can I do?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm trying everything.

Mike

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
You do not want to use that much grease....thats why they say to use a dap. You are going to need to clean your clutch up with some brakeclean and maybe a little sandpaper.

With all that grease your clutch will not engage the motor.

MRayNC

Jul 25, 2008
How far do I need to go back? To the ring gear or further past the crank shaft ball bearing?

Thanks!

MRayNC

Jul 25, 2008
Okay, the clutch is all cleaned and readjusted more perfectly than what it was the first time. Still having the same problem. Any other ideas?

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
are you getting any spark at all? pull the spark plug out and reconnect it to the wire. Lay it on top of the motor so the threads are in contact with the head. Release the clutch, pick up the back wheel and spin the tire. You should see spark.

If you don't see spark and you replaced the CDI with a known good unit, then pretty much all that's left is the plug wire and the magneto.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Also be sure to check your plug to be sure you are getting fuel. Crank the motor a little bit and pull the plug out, it should be a little wet.

MRayNC

Jul 25, 2008
Thanks for all of the suggestions. On a hunch I ordered a new magneto and it came in last night. So, after I got that installed, it cranked right up! I was so stoked and went out joyriding at midnight. But thanks to the tips and suggestions, I've learned A LOT about the motor and its components. I'm just glad it finally works again!

Ranger

Aug 7, 2008
2 things you MUST have for an engine to run

1. Fuel
2. Spark

Theses are the first things that I check if my engine wont run.

Glad you got it going.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Thanks for all of the suggestions. On a hunch I ordered a new magneto and it came in last night. So, after I got that installed, it cranked right up! I was so stoked and went out joyriding at midnight. But thanks to the tips and suggestions, I've learned A LOT about the motor and its components. I'm just glad it finally works again!
Yay! And thanks for letting us know what worked for you!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Fuel/air in the right proportions
spark at the right time... I can remember the guy with the loose magneto that drove everyone crazy.

also an air leak in the manifold and you have fuel and air just in the wrong proportions. No I'm not a mechanic just remember trouble others have had as well as my own problems for a while.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
"Fuel/air in the right proportions
spark at the right time..."

Fo' sho'! While we're picking nits here, deacon is the most correct!