about to pull my hair out

GoldenMotor.com

Paul McGuire

Oct 14, 2017
Concordia Kansas
I built a margaritaville motorized bicycle with a 60 cc Seeutek motor. I did get it running, but sounded as if it were flooding out, and finally died and was unable to get it going again. I replaced the original carb with a better carb. I was getting fuel and oil out the exhaust. I tried adjusting the carb, no luck. I checked the mag, made sure the key was at 1 oclock, so it is in time, Cleaned the contact ares and replaced.. I checked spark, but it was sporadic, so I put in a new ngk plug, and it wont fire. I placed the original back and it does fire. When I ride it, the motor spins but wont start. I then checked the kill switch, its good. What could it be

Paul McGuire

Oct 14, 2017
Concordia Kansas
ok, maybe oil a little rich ? Also, the carb I am running is a Runtong with the bigger round air filter.
also, I changed out the cdi, and the mag, and it started right up. When riding I notice it is slugish, seems to be at a loss of power. My new carb only has an idle screw. Maybe due to the rich oil ?? I also changed the plug to an NGK.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
a good test for those not familiar with these motors is to go up a hill and see if at some point in the throttle, it suddenly gets more power and sounds very different - this usually means it has been 4-stroking at all the other times

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
also, I changed out the cdi, and the mag, and it started right up. When riding I notice it is slugish, seems to be at a loss of power. My new carb only has an idle screw. Maybe due to the rich oil ?? I also changed the plug to an NGK.
Sounds like it might be an air leak. Start it up and feel with your hand around the head gasket and see if you can feel any air shooting out around it while it's running. Also, check for air leaks at the intake manifold/carb and intake/intake manifold connections for any fuel or air leaks. Air leaks cause loss of compression and loss of compression causes loss of power and the sluggish conditions you describe.