A shorter range solution ?

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
This thread has gotten particularly lengthy and I will probably not want to add much more, but will not close the door to the possibility.

And so I just want to say that in conclusion to the question posed in the title:

YES! After a half dozen very nice in town rides of usually 7-9 miles in length, and arriving home with three of four LED indicators still lit unless accelerating- then two are lit-

Two lightweight- 2 lbs apiece Hoverboard packs are proving both a low cost and low weight solution to my shorter needs.

I'm looking into getting accurate voltage readings at least after charging, the new bike battery stronger charger works better than the cheap hover chargers (faster, and seems like more final higher voltage) I was reading 40 volts when I had a throttle set up that displayed that- I suspect the new charger might be getting the packs up to a full 42 volts, for longer range depleting. I wonder.- this I may follow up on. The T-60 connectors are inexpensive and work nicely, and the latest charger even came with one standard on the end-

I have the kit down to about only ten lbs of weight added to very light bikes (5 bs more for the wheel, 4 lbs for two battery packs and a pound more for the controller and throttle

and so that all for now folks!

Happy Motoring!

2009_0309teardrop0003.JPG

Last edited:

zing

Feb 23, 2019
There is something really appealing about the stealth qualities of E bikes. It would be great fun to get on an E bike then drive around the signs that say no motorized allowed etc. (p)

Reactions: indian22

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi Zing-

In fact I have done this- out on the Baldwin Bike Trail west of Jacksonville- They have No Motor signs- but they can't really mean my silent electric motor and 18-20 mph can they? Let's hope they don't! It's usually quite sparsely travelled and great solitude.

OK - I was bummed when I gave up my electronic volt gauge throttle in favor of a controller throttle that actually worked beyond the voltage reading and keyed "off and on" with no throttle response.

So I got the idea- why not see if I can use it for a simple voltage reading after I charge my packs or before I go out?

and so I did- and IT WORKS!

I suppose I can power it directly but I went through the faulty controller, which lit it up before- using the BLACK GROUND wire- from the throttle 3 pin connector- (some variation is fairly standard)- and a red wire from the controller which carries the 42 nominal voltage anyway- to the YELLOW wire on my throttle grip
and VOILA!
volt throttle 1.jpg
volt throttle 2.jpg

I'm guessing I can just run battery black ground to three pin throttle black ground and the battery red posiive to the throttle yellow wire and eliminate the faulty controller-

It first lit up 41.6 volts after re-charging from today's riding and in the couple of minutes it took me to snap the blurry picture it dropped to 41.5. But NOT BAD for the new charger and a starting point very near peak voltage of 42.

Baldwin Bike Trail
P1030420.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: zing and indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
That's such a pretty trail Kat. My son graduated Vanderbilt and I've thought Nashville a nice area to ride. I enjoy your posts and am slowly learning a bit about the electrics.

Rick C.

zing

Feb 23, 2019
It's a small world. My son and his wife are moving to the Brentwood area, close to Nashville in June. My wife and I were in Nashville 2 years ago for their wedding and loved it ! I hadn't been there since the early 70s for a trip to Jack Clements. I hope to visit with plenty of time to explore Gruhn's in Nashville !

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Well, actually, I'm in Jacksonville, and the Nashville Kat name refers more to the Nashville IN area I was flooded out of ten years ago. But I've always liked Nashville TN and used to race there around the Parthenon replica in Centennial Park in the '70's.
I got the silver bike and the large battery going last summer, and then had this other odd 240watt Hub on the cheap- but it is the use of these 36v hoverboard packs that really has me over any worry about the battery expense or them going flat quickly-
I found another source on ebay with new packs at $33 apiece which is very cost effective= 40 cells using two of them, and a range of 12-15 miles it may turn out to be. This Peugeot really rolls and a really great bit of fun.

beach shoe dawn.jpg

zing

Feb 23, 2019
Great photo I like the sneakers setting the perspective Sneaky ! I didn't think of the multiple Nashville angle, I should have as I drove thru Cuba Alabama last month .cptr.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
The shoes weren't posed- someone let them there to walk on the beach- I was a little frustrated when I took that photo a couple of years back because just a minute or two before, the sky was much more spectacular, lit up below the clouds in a brilliant orange sunrise-but there was some guy lingering at the end of the steps, getting ready to walk off, and it was just enough to miss the much better lit sky. So I was half miffed and not paying much attention to the shots I did get. I don't think I even saw the shoes there at the time but later realized that in fact that did make it rather interesting.
scan0001.jpg
grandpap.JPG

Reactions: indian22 and zing

zing

Feb 23, 2019
It was a great shot ! The line up of argus 35mm is a good one too ! When I was young I wanted to give Steiglitz a run for his money, but my son got all the photography talent in this family. I put together a collection of cameras to fill that void though LOL

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My first 35mm camera/cameras were two of those Argus C5 rangefinders in high school and already 30 or 40 years old. I got them used, two for five or ten dollars, while the world was using through the lens SLR. I developed some contact prints back in high school but never had a darkroom, though I had a couple of photojournalism courses in college. That camera shot was from a shop back in the 80's.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Scored a Hoverboard 36v 18650 battery pack from the trash today- seems to charge up- I like that!
Surprised it is a bit of removal- besides screws in bracing- it is glued on the bottom.
P1030466 (1).JPG