A Few CrAzy 4 Stroke Questions

GoldenMotor.com

singlespeeder

Jan 1, 2009
Oakland California
I have been thinking of building up a vintage cruiser to look like an early motorcycle (Flying Merkel), my problem is that I like the way the 2 stroke engine looks (cylinder and head fins) and I also like the way the engine is more narrow. Now, can the 4 stroke engine pull start be removed to make the engine more narrow and still be able to start the engine by pedaling the bike to compression start it?

My next question is can the cooling covers be removed to expose the fins of the cylinder and head, since there is more air flow from a motorized bicycle than a lawn mower, overheating should not be a problem. .weld

Am I crazy for thinking this way?

Thanks,
Singlespeeder

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Dang, I answered ya twice singlespeeder, lol. Can be done, you can do it and nope, you ain't nutz!

I do not know from personal experience, but have read that taking off the heat shields will do bad things.

Great to meet ya. Build some thing cool!

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Single, well from a source who tried it O can tell you that you'll fry the exhaust valve if you rmove the sheilds.

If you have one of these running, you'll be surprised how much ai mves thru those short fins, riding the bike will not duplicate that easily.

I too am very fond of the "Veteran Motorcycle" from the Glry Days of the American Motorcycle. I have built, and have a few framesin stock. If you have any questions either PM me or email, unless you're thinking it wuld be something others may want to know also.

The little 4-stroke Hau Sheng would welcome more fins perhaps, but not to remove it's natural cooling abilities.

Mike

Attachments

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
hey guys, im not a 4 stroker but how many speed do these engines hav?
I know with the pocket bikes they hav a centrifical clutch and once i broke a spring so it was stuck in gear and u could roll start it.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi Brisbane, all LEGAL Mopeds, and motorized bicycles in the US have a maximum of a 2-speed automatic trans incapable of being manually shifted.

The little IC engines have no transmission, just an output shaft from the engine.

The Grube, JL Hoot, staton, GEBE, and EZ MOtorbike are all reduction units meaning there is no shifting. I understand that the EZ Motorbike is the only manual clutch of the bunch, they have a thread here someplace.

Does this help?

Mike

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
I have to admit that the 4 strokes do not have the look some are looking for, but with some work, they can be improved. I love mine and I can cruise all day at 25mph to 30 mph with spurts up to close to 40 mph if i want to...which I usually don't.

Attachments