80 cc skyhawk making NOISE! ....help

GoldenMotor.com

jkflyer

Jan 4, 2014
bakersfield
Hi, I'm new to motor bicycling so I thought I'd get some advice before I start turning screws lol. I've recently stripped and remounted my girls gt avalanche with an 80cc Skyhawk for a new paint job. All is back in place, it starts and runs well. However, I'm heaing a screeching and clanking coming from the engine. I'm assuming its the clutch??? Because as well when I push the bike with the clutch held in the pedals still spin and there seemed to be grabbing as if its still engaged??? Again I'm just guessing.
Does anyone know what the problem could be?
And how could I go about fixing the problem?
Advice would be MUCH appreciated.
Thank you

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
likely to be clutch cable adjustment, but check for chains rubbing and all that kind of thing

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Have you lubricated the gears on the right side? How about the clutch actuating parts, cam in the cover, bucking bar and ball bearing? Those can all be a source of noises if not properly lubricated.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Ditto...

Make sure clutch cable is properly adjusted so that when clutch lever is pulled the clutch wrm moves far enough to actually disengage the clutch and as 2 door mentioned make sure to have a moderate amount of good grease on both ends of the bucking bar and just a dab. (Pencil eraser) size dab on main gear on clutch side, to much grease will give you a slipping clutch if it slings off and gets on the pucks so make sure not to get to much grease on that main gear.

Best wishes....

Map
.wee.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've recently stripped and remounted my girls gt avalanche with an 80cc Skyhawk for a new paint job.

All is back in place, it starts and runs well. However, I'm heaing a screeching and clanking coming from the engine. I'm assuming its the clutch???
First there is no such thing as an 80cc, the bore and stroke is 66cc, the 80cc propaganda is Chinese BS from years ago but vendors still use it because it makes the engine sound bigger ;-}

But back to the 66cc Skyhawk...
Do you hear this clanking siting still with the engine running?
If not your problem is one I have seen in every new 'parts in a box' Skyhawk kit with 415 chain, the chain is hitting the front of the clutch cover when it moves.

This is easy to verify, pull the left clutch cover off and look inside, you will see scratch marks on the flat side that goes towards the Magneto cover.

The fix is to just dremmel, grind, or cut the area where the chain hits a little ;-}

freebill

Oct 28, 2013
Dayton tx. USA
yes kc, but it wears a slit soon and the high speed scrapping noise gos away, and it runs faster,lol,,, found the same prob when i mounted my gt5 with 36 tooh rear and 415,my cover has a wear slot but do'nt seem to afect it any, just adding my 2cents