80/66cc silver slant engine clutch slipping.

GoldenMotor.com

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Hey guys and girls,
My engine was rattling a bit and I was told "that's normal for these engines." Long story short it was my large gear on clutch that's loose and was making that rattling noise. My clutch is slipping so bad now I cant even start my engine. My piston doesnt move up or down. (Its not seized) Ive adjusted it all I can and still loose as heck. Ive read very little because there isnt much info about adjusting the main clutch spring from outside the case from the clutch cable adjuster hole in the top of the case but I couldnt figure it out. Its a silver slant 80cc from kingsmotorbikes. 600 miles on it on a Schwinn Swindler. Any ideas guys ???

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
forget the inner clutch spring, I haven't seen anyone adjust that in years

clutch tension is controlled by distance between locked and unlocked position of the hand lever - read the steps to adjust clutch cable & flower nut

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Crassius, thanks for the reply but my cable and flower nut have been adjusted all the way they can be adjusted. Also, the clutch pads look pretty good. Bucking bar looks goods...any other ideas ?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Sounds like grease on the pads or the plate, make sure its clean. I've never had problems either with the large internal spring, not saying its not possible but I'd look elsewhere first.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Sounds like grease on the pads or the plate, make sure its clean. I've never had problems either with the large internal spring, not saying its not possible but I'd look elsewhere first.
Pads are still more than 3/4 and plate is clean of oil. All i can think of is that main clutch spring. I believe the spring may have unwound out of the adjusting collar. There is almost 1/16 inch of play on the large clutch gear that holds the pads. I believe im s.o.l.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Is the large nut tight that holds the gear on? Pull the clutch lever in and lock it, then adjust the flower nut clockwise to tighten.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Is the large nut tight that holds the gear on? Pull the clutch lever in and lock it, then adjust the flower nut clockwise to tighten.
I actually tightened the flower nut all the way with the clutch pulled in with my hand....my piston isnt moving at all. The clutch gear is so loose that i can turn the large clutch gear with my hand . I actually bought a 2nd engine and bike last night but it kills me to just leave that engine. It ran like a champ. I babyed it like a newborn child. Lol

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
I was asking about the but under the plate that holds the large gear on, if its not loose its not the end of the world because you can remove the whole assembly without splitting the cases. You'll need the engine on the work bench though. The link below may help.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22729
Greg, my bad . No, its all snugged up. I have to go to work today but when i get home about 530pm est ill take it off the bike and get to it. Thats great news that i can do that without splitting the cases ! Thanks for the reply Greg. I really appreciate it.

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
I was asking about the but under the plate that holds the large gear on, if its not loose its not the end of the world because you can remove the whole assembly without splitting the cases. You'll need the engine on the work bench though. The link below may help.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22729
Greg, my bad . No, its all snugged up. I have to go to work today but when i get home about 530pm est ill take it off the bike and get to it. Thats great news that i can do that without splitting the cases ! Thanks for the reply Greg. I really appreciate it.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Are you aware that screwing the flower nut in too far will cause it to hit the shaft & not allow the clutch to grab?

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
Are you aware that screwing the flower nut in too far will cause it to hit the shaft & not allow the clutch to grab?
I was not aware of that but the clutch doesnt grab from any position that the flower nut is in. I went into this 1st build as a total newbie, after hundreds of hours of youtube videos and reading posts in this forum among others I feel pretty good going into my 2nd build with the Genesis Onyx and Silver Flying Horse 80/66cc 2 stroke. I still want to get the Silver Slant on my Schwinn Swindler fixed though. I literally have 606 miles on it ! I never stop trying.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The complete clutch shaft assembly minus the sprocket and gear on the other end will knock out, I screw the nut back on the shaft to protect the threads and use a block of wood against the shaft to tap it out. I use tap figuratively because you'll have to pound it fairly hard. The bearings are just a press fit into the case. The link below shows the complete assembly.

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=259&pictureid=11453

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
could be that the hub bearing is bad (about 57 tiny, crappy, beads in there not round enough to be called balls)

inner section is just pressed onto outer with the bearing between

not usually a problem tho as large gear only transfers power after front plate grabs back plate

Last edited:

firsttymebilder

May 10, 2016
Syracuse NY
I GOT IT RUNNING !!! Ok, so im not going to b.s. you guys so ill get ready for the told you so's. Anyways when i was taking the engine off the bike i gave it a one more once over and noticed that the nut was loose on the drive sprocket on chain side. Ive been having problems with that coming looses since day one but it never was bad enough to make the clutch slip. The lock washer was a bit chewed up. So last week i turned the washer around and tightened the nut up and it seemed ok. Well i guess that lock washer got even more chewed up but to the point where the nut was actually loose again but too tight to be able to tell or turn by fingers because threads and pieces from that washer were all in and around the nut. Last week i picked 2 of those washers up , so i just threw one on, locked up the nut and noticed i had compression and that large gear tightened right up so i put her back together and she started right up. Woohoo ! Man that feels good although i feel like an idiot that i didnt notice that. Ive been told when that nut comes loose all of the time it might be because of a sheared off key...to be honest i couldnt tell you if its sheared off or not but that will be my next search . So thanks to eveyone who helped me out with this ! It is much appreciated !
Will

Last edited: