30 Miles and WT#!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
News on WT#!!!!

Well I got a new CDI hooked it up, retightened every thing, Head, pipe, intake, tried it and NOTHING!!!

I did notice that there was a lot of gas leaking out of the end of the pipe, so I know that it is getting gas to the cyl.

I checked the mag thinking that one of the wires must be broken, but it looked fine to me, I did even take the rotor of to see if the woodruff key was in there, could i have put the rotor on backwards? (reverse the polarity), would that make a difference?

I am at my whits end...............

Q

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
You don't have water in your gas do you?
You'd see it at the bottom of the float bowl
Happens to my mower once in a while.
Really makes me get out the big bag of cuss words.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
What grade of gass you running? every one around here uses high test 91,92 octaine It seems not to have the problum with the water that 87 has. They start better and run better.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Well it just doesn't make sense, I'm as frustrated as you! It sure looks like you've got plenty of fuel for the "fuel" portion of the equation. Have you pulled the plug - I'm sure it's probably soaking wet. Did you check the spark against a ground before you stuck the plug in the cylinder. I'd say if you've got the spark working properly then your carb must just be flooding the crap out of the engine and it's a carb issue.

I think what I'd try is to just shut off the fuel to the carb, drain the carb or just pull it off the intake manifold (let dangle). Get some starting fluid and do a quick squirt in the cyl or intake and then try to get it to fire. If it fires it's got to be a carb issue, if not then we need to check on electric again, new plug or clean the plug, check for spark, etc.

I also just run 89 octane in everything I have.

Dang it, lets get this thing running!

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
i dont use "good" gas....85 the cheap stuff around here works fine....ive even experimented with e85 last summer....i posted about it cause i wasnt sure if the alcohol would suspend the oil....i experimented and it did...well i do think your flooding it... take the carb off take the plug out disconnect the coil and spin the engine....clear the flood...hook up the coil and (clean) plug and try to start(no carb)...now starting fluid is kinda dangerous(i know i work with it all the time) spray abit of carb cleaner...if it starts and dies you got a fuel problem....now can you feel compression in the motor....peddle it with the clutch still engaged youll know if you got compression(it feels jerky).....are you sure that the clutch is adjusted.....remember you need the clutch lever pulled in to turn the flower nut....check for spark....i use inline spark testers....if it has fuel(right amount) has spark...and has compression it should work...all i can think of would be a clogged intake or exhaust or possibly the fuel just doesnt burn...ive had a few cars beat me up with that one....

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
hey wow....just an idea....open up your magnito case and make sure it is still keywayed on to the crank....the exciter that is....what if you got spark but at the wrong time???feels like im stretching here but at the point your at why not

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
hey wow....just an idea....open up your magnito case and make sure it is still keywayed on to the crank....the exciter that is....what if you got spark but at the wrong time???feels like im stretching here but at the point your at why not
key way is in, I have checked. Will try the carb off and starting fluid method, be back in a minute...
Also, just got new 92 gas and nothing...
Q

rwquiring

Feb 18, 2010
Bend, Oregon
one final thing before I turn in for the night, does the engine need to have a ground strap on it, I do know that I have tape on the frame where the motor is attached to the frame, just a question.

Q

Techbiker

Oct 27, 2009
DFW, Texas
-Remove the kill switch
-Check the magneto. If a new CDI, boot, and plug are used then the only thing left in terms of a spark is the magneto.
-If fuel is dripping out of the exhaust, then you don't have a fuel problem.
-Are you sure that you have compression? When you release the clutch handle, do you feel the engine compression dragging you? If you blew a head gasket I doubt the engine would fire.

Remember that only 3 things are needed for engines: spark, fuel, and compression. You are missing one or more of these. It sounds like you have enough fuel from your posts so see what I wrote above.

Edit: My head bolts loosened quite a bit in the first 30 miles or so. If they get too loose, your head gasket can blow. Either way, get a torque wrench and tighten them to 12 ft. lbs.

Last edited:

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
ok so what you need to do, is remove the spark plug, remove the exhaust and remove the carb.

pour about a capful of mix oil into the intake port and start pedalling. the goal here is to blow out anything thats inside the cylinder/crankcase.

also, you can probley do this as you are doing the actual blow out as you ride. place your thumb over the plug hole. if you CANNOT, AT ALL, hold your seal on that hole and it feels like a good snap your compression is most likely good.

this sounds like a finiky problem to me.... try a good blow out but dont forget the mix oil in your intake before you start.

i have had engines flood so bad it has taken 10 minutes of blow out to get things clean enough to start

ill be watching your thread buddy, good luck

kutsuda

Mar 23, 2010
georgia
like most of everyones saying it sounds like an airleak quickest way to identify an airleak would be to start engine up let it warm up and spray carb cleaner around the carb and intake wherever u hear the engine idle speed up at thats where the leak is also let it warm up and turn choke on if engine doesnt die immediately u have an airleak most common place for airleak is around the intake manifold where the carb slides if thats where it is take some permatex high temp gasket maker and seal it best way to do this is to take off carb and manifold clean both with alcohol make sure theres no oil or gas in it u want it clean as possible then take gasket maker rub a little around the manifold slide area making sure not to get it near the very end slide carb onto manifold and wait to dry

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
What grade of gass you running? every one around here uses high test 91,92 octaine It seems not to have the problum with the water that 87 has. They start better and run better.
That is not even close to an accurate statement.

Most people use regular and premium is a total waste of money. 6.5:1 compression does not require high octane gasoline, which in fact burns slower than regular. Regular grade gas has no more problem with water in it than 92 octane unless your local gas station has a bad tank, which is unlikely.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
ok so what you need to do, is remove the spark plug, remove the exhaust and remove the carb.

pour about a capful of mix oil into the intake port and start pedalling. the goal here is to blow out anything thats inside the cylinder/crankcase.

Just make sure your plug is grounded well when doing this as spinning the engine without the plug grounded will kill you CDI quicker than you can say superkalafragalisticexpialladosious.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

K'mon Joe... ya know advice needs be carefully considered and accuracy is key... it's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (pronounced /ˌsuːpərˌkælɪˌfrædʒəlˌɪstɪkˌɛkspiːˌælɪˈdoʊʃəs/)

:D