3 HP Briggs/Cranbrook Build

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I hope to build my own wheels and to be able to spend the bucks for front and rear discs, or front drum and rear disc.
Overkill?
Braking Overkill?
No such thing.
If you are going to go really fast, you need to stop really fast, and I really like front a rear disc brakes for that ;-}

That is a $340 (delivered) Fito Bicycle, it comes like that, well not the engine and shift kit, but the bike has everything you need in a bike.

I imagine that this hobby is very similar to most hobbies.......many people have the best intentions of following through with their projects, but most don't.
What I see one one hand, are kids that want a legal motorcycle to play with and fail, like this example from the 114 'Motorized Bicycles' on Craig's List today for $250 ...

Think he's selling it for less than he put in it because he has drive chain jump issues?

Those are the 'kids' regardless of age, and then you have the 'grown ups' that for whatever reason, want a reliable motorized bicycle for transportation or just fun, and I filled that need here in Phoenix but I am retiring soon, the rest of you that build 'For Sale' bikes, don't compromise the buyers safety for an extra $20 profit, PLEASE!

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
Braking Overkill?
No such thing.
Yeah, after I wrote that I did a little more study and have decided that I really want front and rear discs. Going to need a new fork though. I saw on the brakes forum where you recommended the Sunlite Replica Springer. Not sure if it will work with the cranbrook frame though. If not maybe the monarch will. After a little more study I'm sure I'll have some questions to post in the brakes forum. Thanks KC.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
The fork will be either 1" or 11/8" just have to measure your fork tube, you can do that right were the handle bar goose neck goes in, take the top nut off..........................Curt

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Yeah, after I wrote that I did a little more study and have decided that I really want front and rear discs.
Going to need a new fork though.
I saw on the brakes forum where you recommended the Sunlite Replica Springer.
Not sure if it will work with the cranbrook frame though.
Thanks KC.
You are welcome Jeff.
I doubt you can get a rear disc mount on the Cranbook that will stay put, but you can put a disc on the front easy enough, and it doesn't need to be springer, I actually like telescoping front forks the best.

With forks like that and a disc brake you should be able to stop fine regardless of what you have on the back except that damn stock crappy coaster brake!

I just bought this Fito bike for all the parts for a Gas Tank Frame which has rear a disc caliper mount on it, $340 delivered and the fito was left pretty much a bare frame.
http://www.bikebuyers.com/fito-modena-gt-alloy-7sp-men.htm

Sadly, they have discontinued that bike so now I am having a hard time getting what I need...
Well, not that hard, just more expensive than before as that was a pretty slick way to build cool bikes without the sticker shock of having to buy all parts piece meal.

Last edited:

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
The fork will be either 1" or 11/8" just have to measure your fork tube, you can do that right were the handle bar goose neck goes in, take the top nut off.
Thanks Curt. I saw where somebody said it was threadless. Could it still be used on my frame?

I doubt you can get a rear disc mount on the Cranbook that will stay put, but you can put a disc on the front easy enough
Yeah, and after looking around bit I think that the rear disc is more complication than I want right now. Telescopic fork looks strong but I sure like the look of the springer.

...a pretty slick way to build cool bikes without the sticker shock of having to buy all parts piece meal.
Finding that out. Spent some time today just looking at parts.

Really appreciate all of the help.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I bought a 'donor' bike from a girl at work that was moving. I got lots of parts including a suspension fork with disc brakes. Paid way less than new and worked out well for her. Was a shame to chop shop her bike, but it was never going to be of use to her.

The new front end made all the difference in the way my bike rides and stops ------ and, I think it looks better, also!

Best of luck in your adventure!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I bought a 'donor' bike from a girl at work that was moving.
I got lots of parts including a suspension fork with disc brakes.
Paid way less than new and worked out well for her.
Sweet, did you give her any parting gifts?

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
Well, I tried drilling the frame for the front bolt and the results were not good. I drilled the first hole and then used a paper template to mark the opposite hole and the results are shown in the graphic below:

So. It's not quite as crooked as the graphic, but it's enough to be a problem. I can think of several things I should have done, but now I'm thinking of how to proceed.

1. I can try to set up a jig to drill the hole larger and straighter(5/16 now, open up to 1/2), and have a piece of 1/2 tube welded in (5/16 id). I was thinking of doing that anyway, but I
was also thinking of drilling a straighter hole.

2. Get another frame and have a flat plate welded on as msrfan suggested.

I'm partial to at least trying number one. Don't have much to lose at this point.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
# 1 Yes, you got to do it now anyway to fix the frame. But msrfan is right about the plate, it was about the only option back about 55 years ago when the started building motor bikes. And with just a arc welder now wire feeds back then...........Curt

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
Yep. I feel better this morning. I'm going to move the drill press into the house in a day or two and see if I can salvage this thing. If not, oh well. Next one, metal plate for sure.

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
Busy week. Got my drill press moved to a spot where it should be usable. Also bought a welder. Wanted to learn to weld for a long time so, it's time. Haven't worked on the bike at all. Going to try and drill out that crooked hole next.

tnjeff

Jul 10, 2017
It's a Hobart Handler 140. Solid wire/gas or flux core. I already have a few small projects to do after I learn the basics. Going to make a test stand for the briggs engine and my son has a Kirkey race car seat that he wants to turn into a computer racing chair. When it comes to more critical stuff, I hope to get at least good enough to tack weld for position, then let a pro finish it up.