2nd 212 build... heavy duty

GoldenMotor.com

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Any way pedal cranks with slightly loose bearings in the hangers may not matter much. You don;'t pedal much ehhh! Just want to clarify for others, the bearings were OK from Azua, just not the pillows (holders, hangers whatever they call them), they are too loose and I put the shims in them with extra effort and now it is OK. The Whizzer Clone Sheave I have had for 2 or 3 years now I finally did grind away more of the bump where the circular sheave has a weld mark for butting the ends. It works a lot better. I may be looking to replace the adjustable diameter pulley and hope I could find an affordable one not made of aluminum like what I am ready to replace my second one. Where did all the good parts go?

Reactions: indian22

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
2020 update. The cvt was a good setup but had some issues. It would blow driver springs frequently. I ran out of spare cvt driver springs and started cutting up old max torque springs. I began carrying extra springs and tools to repair the driver clutch. When you have to carry tools for going around town you know something has to change.

I had to go back to a clutch. I set it up with an 8:1 for a top speed in the high 50s. When I first rode it, it felt like a relief. It was far quieter, smoother, and more than an inch thinner on the left.

Ran the **** out of it for a long time. My old 212 developed a crack in the case and I had to replace it at about 15k. Was still running strong and probably would have run another 10k easily.

I rode this bike everywhere. Rode it on 100mi day trips over the mountains to the beach. Usually would leave the house to grab a soda from the corner store and end up on a long ride, freezing my ass off cause I’d leave with just a tee and hoping nothing would break cause I never carried tools with this one. With the clutch, nothing ever did break. Well, I snapped a jackshaft once; but then I went to a 3/4” JS and that problem vanished.

I put about 10k on this frame. By the time it was done everything was worn out. It was becoming difficult to find time to maintain it. So I sold it. Last year the frame turned 50. Loved this bike!

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Tony so glad you brought this one back. I read through the whole build this a.m. and I hope others do the same. It should inspire others to actually build without out all the excuses of "How can I?" None of this is rocket science & doesn't require more than basic hand tools and ,ones creativity and with not a lot of money involved.

What you ended up with is summed up in your last statement, "Loved this bike!" and I can see why!

Nice bike and thread.

Rick C.

Reactions: Tony01