24cc Deer Kart Build

GoldenMotor.com

Weedge1212

May 29, 2018
The past couple days I've been working on mounting the engine. I was able to find some scrap steel laying around my garage that worked great. I drew out a bunch of stencils for how I would cut it until I got one that fit perfectly.

Once I had the engine mounted, I got a little too far ahead of myself and decided to start it. Well, I never put the clutch housing back on before I started it. And I foolishly revved the engine which in turn made the clutch pads expand and go flying through my garage. It took me an hour of searching but I finally found both clutch pads and both springs. The springs are butchered but the clutch pads should still be usable. Luckily new springs aren't expensive but I do have so order them online since none of the shops by me had any springs even close. So here is a pic of the mangled springs

Even though the second spring doesn't look too bad, it is. Its not supposed to have any space between the rungs when its free of tension. So I will have to order a set of new ones and never make that mistake again.
Besides that mistake, everything else seemed to go alright. The engine doesn't create any vibrations in the handle of the kart. Which I was pleasantly surprised by. And the engine is solidly mounted and not going anywhere. I will probably clean up the mounting plate a little more and just cut away some of the unused metal. Also, the way I mounted it does create a small gap from where the clutch drum meets the clutch pads. But it is such a small gap that I don't think it will have any effect. I am also considering cutting the plastic cover for the engine in half so I can still use it on both sides of the engine. Anyways, here's some more pics of the engine mounted.

Next thing will be ordering some parts. I am thinking of using #35 or #40 chain. I think 35 should be strong enough but I just need to find all the sprockets I need in that size. I hope to post an update soon.

Reactions: fasteddy

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
KOOL ! Think about #35 as you can get lower gearing in a compact smaller size. And make sure you have adjustment to keep chain slack snug, it will work fine as you are not going to use it all that much, like a motor bike, looking good............Curt

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool project! Didn't see it mentioned but thought the engine would not have enough UMPH. But given who has posted and experience, am sure I was mistaken.

But very cool project and really looking forward to more pictures!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Hi Dan,
That was my first thought as well but since it only needs to travel at walking speed I think it will be powerful enough. Geared properly it should be able to maintain the revs so as not to get bogged down.

Hopefully we'll find out soon.

Steve.

Weedge1212

May 29, 2018
I haven't gotten too much done recently steve. I did get some new clutch springs to replace the ones I mangled but that took about two weeks fo the parts to come in. I've also been working on my bike quite a bit which has me neglecting the kart. But I am going to Peach Fest this weekend and really wanted to use the kart there to haul all my gear up montage mountain. But money and time have held me back from getting all the sprockets and other parts that I need. But once I get back from Peach, I really plan on getting this project finished. So I hope to give you a real update in the near future.