212cc predator build

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by OniShinobi, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

This is my first big build, I ended up getting the 212cc kit, and I need a good frame on a budget and im having issues finding one, ive checked my local shops and cant seem to find a frame to fit the motor. I'm new to a lot of this and dont have much money or income, I need a frame that can tide me over till I can afford a proper frame. Any ideas?

2. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

I dont have access to any specialty tools or a welder as I'm on a very tight budget

3. Tony01

Tony01 Well-Known Member

Your best deal for easy cheap transportation is a 250cc motorcycle or even a custom $3-4000 ebike, as both of these can be financed typically so you can pay as you go, but have a running vehicle from day 1. Any motorized bike build, especially a 212 build is a money sink even though it can be a very rewarding experience, although it will break and you’ll continue to spend money on it all the while it is broken down. But the money sink/maintenance aspect of it gets old fast. In fact replying to threads like this also gets old so you are lucky I happened to go online right now laff

indian22, GT4494 and Tom from Rubicon like this.
  4. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

Update, i have a frame and have done some mods as far as fitting the motor and all but I'm at a stand still, I have the factory chain, factory sprocket for the torque converter and 44t rear sprocket. Now the chain isnt fitting the rear completely, do I need to go up to a 420 HD chain? Or drop down to a 40t rear sprocket?

5. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Most kit chain is not the best chain. Best would go to farm store like Tractor supply, get a hole box of #41 chain, and a good chain ( will need one down the road if you are going to keep building bikes ). You can make the chain any length you want , and use a repair connecting link. #41 works good, and a lot of guys use it with good success , ..........Curt

indian22 and Tom from Rubicon like this.
  6. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

Will I have to adjust the torque converter sprocket size to fit the ratio of the new chain and the 44t on the rear?

7. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look like Curtis is on so I'll jump in, the 41 chain is 1/4 between the side plates, the stock 415 kit chain is 3/16. I run the 41 on the stock sprockets with no problems, I have been running the same chain on my black bike for 8+ years.

8. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

As Curtis said you can buy 41 chain in 10 ft lengths from tractor supply or a farm supply store, it comes with a master link. I buy extra master links because I can make two chains from 10 feet.

9. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

If you don't have a chain breaker you can use a angle or bench grinder, mark the link you need to take apart and grind the end of both pins down to the side plate and pop the side plates off. I always use the grinder to shorten my chains. You can get a entry level grinder from harbor freight for about$10.

Tom from Rubicon likes this.
  10. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

That's the various stages of the build its not much but im just looking to do small time travel and commute to work on it.... I was finally able to get my photos up

Attached Files:

EZL and Tom from Rubicon like this.
  11. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

I'll stop by the supply store and pick up the #41 and see how it works out, I was just worried that I would have to get a new sprocket for either my torque converter or for my rear

12. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

I see you picked up a welder, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

13. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

indian22 likes this.
  14. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

I did but it ended up being a mig machine so I was kinda limited as to what I could do. I got lucky there, so we reinforced the weld by placing bolts through the material used and I went to town on it lol. And the mount I was sent for the motor was too small so went to home depot and picked up 2 ft of angle aluminium and made a makeshift motor mount while still being able to use the slants for a seated mount

15. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

Looks like a flux core, I have had one for years. I have a craftsman stick welder and a mig with cover gas as well. That welder will do a lot if you take your time and work with clean metal.

16. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

I made sure to grind down everything to a polished shine as so I can have a decent weld, im use to a stick machine, so this was not only my first time on a mig, but also steel to aluminium lol hence why I added the bolts for extra support. I'm reusing the pedals as pegs for my feet and those are gonna go on the forks lol this frame is only temp till I can afford a better frame

17. Greg58

Greg58 Well-Known Member

You can't weld aluminum to steel, it will not hold.

18. curtisfox

curtisfox Well-Known Member

Sorry i been out of town, death in family. Greg is the man, LOL. Bike looks good.............Curt

19. OniShinobi

OniShinobi New Member

Yea he has been helpful and im sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for the compliment, I tried to keep everything relatively neat n clean as possible. This is my second build ever and first time big build. So im learning as I go and you guys have helped tremendously. I'm gonna see about going to the store either tomorrow or Sunday to pick up #41 and see how this all plays out

20. Tony01

Tony01 Well-Known Member

It’s gonna break at the weld. Steel to aluminum not gonna fly, welding all the way around the tube like that not gonna fly even in steel, and a couple bolts definitely not gonna fly.

indian22, Tom from Rubicon and Greg58 like this.