2 stroke 80cc bike not running well

GoldenMotor.com

Quintin

Apr 25, 2018
yeah, i was euphoric. ill start using 20:1 maybe? i have a #63 jet in since that seems to work alright, and my #70 didn't really work too well when i first had it in, even with the muffler backed out. i feel like ive found the right jet, too.

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I believe that as long as you are using a good synthetic or semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil you can go 24 to 1 for break in and 32 to 1 after but I know there are lots of opinions on this.

Onewman

Feb 28, 2019
IT LIVES! IT LIIIIVES! i got it working like it should! i was stubborn in saying it wasn't the muffler due to the fact that when you blew through it, it had decent air flow. but after unscrewing it slightly AND with the new jets, suddenly all is well. i took the cap off only to realize that more air could've been able to run through, and with the bigger engine than the last one even more airflow was all it needed. Thanks to everyone for the help, i sincerely appreciate it! Stay speedy everyone.
How do you lean the carb?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum Onewman, the typical ways to lean the fuel mixture are raising the e-clip on the needle or changing the jet size. Which method you use is determined by which range of throttle you need to improve. If you need to lean the mixture up to about 1/2 throttle you move the clip up on the needle which restricts fuel , if at wide open you need help a smaller jet is what you need.

Onewman

Feb 28, 2019
Welcome to the forum Onewman, the typical ways to lean the fuel mixture are raising the e-clip on the needle or changing the jet size. Which method you use is determined by which range of throttle you need to improve. If you need to lean the mixture up to about 1/2 throttle you move the clip up on the needle which restricts fuel , if at wide open you need help a smaller jet is what you need.
Thank you for that. My engine runs very smoky all the time. Will I need to adjust both?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Smoking is a result of the type/amount of oil in your fuel mixture, if you have a fairl new engine 24/1 is a good ratio. Always use 2-cycle oil designed for air cooled engines, since air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines the oil has wear inhibitors. If your bike runs fairly well change the mix first then go to the other.

Onewman

Feb 28, 2019
Smoking is a result of the type/amount of oil in your fuel mixture, if you have a fairl new engine 24/1 is a good ratio. Always use 2-cycle oil designed for air cooled engines, since air cooled engines run hotter than water cooled engines the oil has wear inhibitors. If your bike runs fairly well change the mix first then go to the other.
OK thankyou, my engine was running well but I can't seem to get it started now. When it does start is dies when I put the throttle up. It only very occasionally fires at the moment