1954 Monark Firestone Supercrusier

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Started collecting parts in Nov 2011. First test ride was Feb 2012. Finally found a red Firestone tank Oct 2012. Now I am working on converting retro lights to LEDs. Correct front and rear fenders arrived but remain uninstalled.

Attachments

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Very sweet! I like that bike alot! Now all you need to do is artificially age the motor's exterior. Make the motor look just as old and people will think you have some antique motorcycle. Well, in fact, you do. Just not original.

BTW, I love the truck in the background. That thing is sharp.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Sweet bike. Looks like a million bucks. I'd like to see it when it has the other parts on it.

I have a Monark Super DeLuxe that I restored and added a sidecar. It's electric but you have to love the way they handle.

Steve.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Yes it is a 99cc Predator. As for aging the motor. I would love some suggestions or link to something other than the dixieflyer on you tube. Need to age the plastic tranie cover etc

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
After work (11pm PST) I will post some pix of the mods on headlamp I am working on and post some electrical LED questions.

I have seen this one asked before but again.... Anyone know how to get a positive line off the HF motor to run lights or charge batts?

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Front lamp 6 LED conversion. Biglots $3 six LED flashlight. 32oz Power aid. Epoxie. 46 year old bicycle headlamp. So far as questions I have the following.

Power supply: Thoughts are to hide a battery pack inside the horn tank. The pack can then supply all power to all accessories.

Once said power supply is located it is my understanding LEDs use 3w and I need to cobble in resistors to make them play. No idea about this at all. Any suggestions or read here etc would be welcome.

Attachments

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The little LED flashlights are a great source for lights. How many batteries were yours to use? The one's I have had used three AAAs. At 1.5 volts each that comes to 4.5 volts. I've used LED units with the white wire from china girl engines with success (light flickers, but that's OK with me). The white wire puts out roughly 6 volts and did not ever burn out any of the LED units I've used for headlights or tail lights.
With my four strokes I haven't had the benefit of a white wire to work with, so have used old sidewall generators putting out 6 volts. Used to be I was always burning out bulbs at speed as I think they were putting out over 6 volts at 30 or more mph and incandescent bulbs seem pretty sensitive to anything more than what they were designed for. The little LEDs seem to be more tolerant of a wider voltage range. How tolerant, I don't know, but I can say that I have had good luck so far running head lights and tail light, brake lights using said LED flashlight units designed to be run on 4.5 volts, but in my case powered by 6 volt sidewall generators probably putting out as much as 8 or 9 volts at 40 or so mph. So that's good! I've been altering big Harbor Freight dune buggy lights to use as headlights and making my own copper jewel lights for tail, brake and fender running lights. (Type in "copper jewel light" on google and it should give you a link.

I am certainly no expert on lighting, electronics or any of this. I am, however, a resourceful cheapskate who likes to see at night and more importantly BE SEEN AT NIGHT by otherwise distracted, drugged, drunk, texting and sometimes comatose drivers.

Depending on what voltage batteries you plan to use I doubt that you will need resistors for six volt input, but might be pushing your luck with 12 volts. As inexpensive as these little flashlights are I'd just try it with six volts and see what happens. Oops isn't going to break the bank. Good luck! Let there be light!
SB

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Fasteddy - that was a nic in HS of mine; xcept its like this Fas-teddy say it like so and its "fast teddy" my name is Ted so LOL.

The great part on the LED hack is there are 6 LEDs and the butt of the power aid has 6 nips on the bottom so each LED has its own sealed bubble.

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
In the background of the 4th pic is my current build a 1954 Roadmaster Luxury Liner. Something got me on a 1954 kick. I have in addition a 1951 Roadmaster paired with monark forks powdercoated red to match - cant wait to get that one sorted. And in a box is a NOS Roadmaster frame - best part on the NOS frame is it arrived with a NOS Seattle Sporting Goods head badge. I live just outside of Seattle and am looking forward to having it on the road and show it off around the U district where the then landmark Sporting Goods store was located.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
LabRat,
Got my nickname on a warm summers night in the early 60's from one of the cops that had just bagged another guy and I for drag racing. It wasn't the first time and when he looked in the window all he said was "Well, if it isn't Fast Eddy".

My buddy was sitting beside me and he made sure the nickname stuck by telling everyone we knew.

Steve.

redheadsticky

Apr 4, 2012
south dakota
I just saw on tv where a guy painted a dashboard to look like wood grain. That plastic ezm cover would have to be smoothed then painted wood grain. Check it out u might like it.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not much of a fan of the plastic transmission covers either. Tinsmith & I made one of electroplate tin for the 53 Schwinn Hornet below and then one for the 50 Schwinn American Flyer. I like it lots better than the plastic. Sometime I want to make one the same way but out of copper.
SB

Attachments

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Yeah I was thinking about a metal one. Even have an idea using some plexiglass with brass but thats for a steampunk idea I have. You did a nice job with that one. How does the bike pull with the side car? Loaded w/passenger?