1908 Schwinn Indian (schwinndian)

GoldenMotor.com

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
I purchased this bike knowing I would motorize it and after letting it catch my eye almost every day I've decided what to make it into. The bike will be a 1908 Indian inspired bike. I plan to copy the forks, seat, seat post, tank, and left side spindle jack-shaft assembly of the original bike. The rest, including paint color will be my own decision. The bars may get flipped to upright riding position. This one will take awhile and i want it to be mean and elegant at the same time. This photo is after the tear down and first mock up. Both wheels are 27".
IMG_20191128_002135241.jpg

Last edited:

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Today I picked up some materials for the seat post. A 3' long 7/8" diameter solid steel bar, a 3' long 1" o.d. 7/8 i.d. steel tube and a bernzo ts8000 torch. This seat post should make a solid anchor point for the vertical mounted 212cc and knock off Brooks saddle. All of the pieces fit together like a glove. Hopefully I can get the rod hot enough to put some bends in it.

Attachments

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Got the engine stripped down inside and out and cut some threads where the governor and oil sensor once was. I will remove the front fuel tank mounts as recommended by Tony 01 as soon as I get the engine sealed back up. IMG_20200101_193831024.jpg IMG_20200101_193907202.jpg

Last edited:

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Today I'm finally feeling somewhat back to normal again after being inside and dealing with the flu for about 12 days. It has been quite a time for sure. Woke up sick Christmas Eve Eve and family coming the next day. Water heater sprung a leak and quit, found out what was wrong and finally had one delivered after three days. Replaced it by myself in the basement with a fever. Got that taken care of and look out in the drive way and the daily driver has a puddle of transmission fluid on the cold concrete. Took that to the mechanic neighbor to fix. With all of that put behind me I'm thankful for my family and my smelly hound dog Elle mae. Also, a well stocked local farm store that has literally everything I'll ever need for a bike build and more.. After looking at my options I chose to plug the holes on the predator engine with bolts, washers, and permatex #2 non hardening. I used a 1/4" x 1" coarse thread on the governor hole and a 7/16"x 3/4" fine thread on the oil shut off hole. Gooped them up and tightened them down. I'll let you all know how they hold up. I might install an oil temperature gauge later on or make the bottom a drain.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Today I set out to make the seat post with a realization that my legs aren't long enough for a 1908 style seat. Being that I plan on riding this bike I went with a cut down version of the mount. Also found out that I don't like this style spring seat very much. A normal seat has a lower profile and fits perfect on the bike with this post. I figure I'll wait until I can find an old seat to refinish.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Today the engine mount arrived. Found myself holding the micrometer long enough to settle on 10mm bolts.. If the engine Outlasts the mount, that will be considered a failure to me, especially given the almost equal amount paid. I'm excited to get the engine mounted so I can start the intake and header fabrication, also the front mount dream up. I've been thinking of adding some length in the top and down tubes, around 6 inches and four with the rear slide outs to get some better stability, but I think the fork brace should come sooner and I'm trying to add length without a noticable bend in the down tube.

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Cut around the original carb spacer with a band saw and shaved it down with the belt sander to get rid of the flood relief port. This spacer should help keep the manifold cool and also helps take up the gap on these china kit 6mm bolts from bbr tuning.
IMG_20200107_005554050.jpg

Last edited:

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Builds going great Ralph. I've enlarged some frames & like the way they perform. Though you are probably aware that these changes plus the additional weight of motorizing place a lot of additional stress on the frame; I'll suggest you consider the frame receive gusset support at least on the rear triangle, if not a complete rebuild of the triangle...either works.

I'm watching with great interest.

Rick C.

Ralph hop

Nov 14, 2019
Sure thing Rick. This bike will be all thrills and no frills but a rigid structure is something I have to work on. Hoping to find a 14 mm axle hub for the rear. The chain stays on the bike are built well and lugged into the bottom bracket although the English BB size limits my choices for gear reduction on the crank spindle. I plan to box the seat stays at the seat post with three gussets, one up top and one on each side. The horizontal drop outs will extend forward to tie everything together. Other things on my mind like a timkin headset and built forks also.

Last edited: