12V scooter horn wiring

GoldenMotor.com

dasmo

Jul 13, 2009
canada
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone with experience doing this can confirm my wiring thoughts for hooking up a Wolo 12V horn to my 48V system. I want to get 12V going anyway to also hook up a light so I ruled out hunting down a cheapo 48V horn. (the DC-DC converter has a Y split on the output).
Any advice is much appreciated!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The schematic as you've illustrated it looks good, but I've just some thoughts & questions...

You've labeled your power source as "horn output from controller" - yet you've a relay and another, independent momentary switch after the 48-12v power converter... I dunno what controller you're using, but if it's got a "horn output" (power source) then it as a power source is usually activated by a momentary switch already, it's leads going into the controller & making a second switch redundant... but I could be wrong, all controllers are different lol

Even still - I would suggest wiring your DC/DC converter directly into the main power supply (w/a connector ofc) as this simplifies the installation and allows the use of the converter as a 12v power supply for any/all other accessories such as lighting, phone/laptop charging etc. w/o concern about the the controller's "horn output" amperage or activation. Unless you're using a very light duty switch, a relay isn't usually needful for a small "12v scooter horn" as it's use is intermittent & it's power requirements negligible. On the other hand relays are neat & a very safe way to insure a minimum load on your switches *shrug*

Just some thoughts ;)

dasmo

Jul 13, 2009
canada
Yes you are right Barely, my bad. I did this diagram and when I sat down to do it I realized I can replace the light switch with my better switch and then I have to do way less custom wiring!(horn and light outputs are the same V and in the same location).

However, your thought about wiring the converter direct is key since I want to use the converter for such purposes as well and as it stands I would have to hold the horn down.

Thanks for the Help, back to the drawing board!

(I have virtually no experience with electronics except for working with others who do, I'm an Industrial Design mechanical guy)