125cc engine!!!!!!!!

GoldenMotor.com

SJCASEY1110

Mar 14, 2008
Does anyone know of any good 125cc engines that can be put on the schwinn occ choppers, or have any ideas about it. Also are there any other engines that are over 80ccs. Thanks!!

- Shawn
(c)

UncleKudzu

May 26, 2008
Deep in the American South
look up the Kikker 5150 bobber with the Lifan horizontal 110cc engine. it's not a Schwinn, but it might give you some ideas.

i keep expecting to see one of the geniuses here figure out a way to use the 50 or 70cc Lifan horizontal on a bike, like maybe a board track style. Houghmade, are you listening?

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
if you take off sticker that says 125cc only way they are gonna know is if they take the engine apart and measure.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Or just look at it..125cc is WAY bigger than 50cc.

One question: WHY?

This is a bicycle, what the heck are you going to do with 125cc's?

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Or just look at it..125cc is WAY bigger than 50cc.

One question: WHY?

This is a bicycle, what the heck are you going to do with 125cc's?
My bike, The Iron Dragon has twin 43cc 2.2hp Mitsubishi engines. With one engine, I had to ride the sidewalks and bike paths. With two engines, I claim the lane.

I'm upgrading to a 6hp 169cc Robin engine.

Why?

I want more power, silly guy.

What am I using 169cc for?

I commute daily among thousands of cars. I need to claim the lane with quickness and maintain 35 mph speed, like the thousands of mopeds here.

With 35-50cc and 1.25 hp to 2.5 hp, go ahead and crawl along the road's edge until some inattentive clod runs you into the gutter..fly

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have various stages of power. Motorized bike, 50cc scooter, 100cc motorcycle, and 800cc motorcycle. All have there proper places on the road. I HAVE ridden the 50cc scooter and the motor bike on some long trips.

Having said that I would never put anything bigger on a bicycle. But, some only have one bike and then the sky is the limit.

Or the frame and wheels. Or the cops.

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
i just posted a thread just like this see I have 2 stingrays 2 125 semi auto 125cc engines so i'm going to build one but just like you all say on here its too much but heres my deal the 125 has a real generator that doesnt rob power from the ignition and it has 4 gears if you dont want to go fast on it dont roll the throttle all the way. the little hard knock is a cool little chopper but you have to tag inspect insure all that jusnk if I put the little 125 in my stingray which has tall apes and will have a springer seat all i have to do is retain functional pedals and its legal here in oklahoma not insurance no tag then I can just pop around all over town like my big bike without cars running me over don't get me wrong I love my regular MB but I want to build a moster and I think I just might go ahead and do it.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
i just posted a thread just like this see I have 2 stingrays 2 125 semi auto 125cc engines so i'm going to build one but just like you all say on here its too much but heres my deal the 125 has a real generator that doesnt rob power from the ignition and it has 4 gears if you dont want to go fast on it dont roll the throttle all the way. the little hard knock is a cool little chopper but you have to tag inspect insure all that jusnk if I put the little 125 in my stingray which has tall apes and will have a springer seat all i have to do is retain functional pedals and its legal here in oklahoma not insurance no tag then I can just pop around all over town like my big bike without cars running me over don't get me wrong I love my regular MB but I want to build a moster and I think I just might go ahead and do it.
Here is a video of a bike like the one you are thinking about: Motorized Schwinn Stingray XL

Note the lack of pedals. The builder also upgraded most of the components. Pretty sure that was out of necessity. Bicycle parts aren't made to take that much power.

Have fun and be sure to wear a helmet!

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Main reason I like these bikes is they are mostly legal...no helmet..no licence..no insurance, Put a bigger motor on and spend loads more to ride.

Clotho

May 25, 2008
Main reason I like these bikes is they are mostly legal...no helmet..no licence..no insurance, Put a bigger motor on and spend loads more to ride.
I will agree with the legal part. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to ride responsibly and not worry about 'The Man'. I can't agree with the helmet part though. For one I have to ride with a helmet to be legal in Canada. If I don't have a helmet it just gives them a reason to pull me over and hassle me about the bike. For two I would never consider riding without a helmet since I know it has already saved me at least once. The noggin is a pretty delicate thing. Injury that the rest of the body will heal from will leave you a drooling imbecile if the same force is applied to your head.

It may have been 'cool' to ride without a helmet at some time in the past. Pretty sure that these days most people consider you an idiot if you are seen without one.

Last edited:

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
I have a 49cc that will do about 35 and a 52cc that will do about 30. Both to me are too slow for big city traffic. I built them for fun, but can only ride them only on backstreets. Very limiting. It's just not safe to ride them on city streets where most cars are doing 50-60 all the time in 30-45 speed limits here.

I do ride my 1400cc motorcycle that will do over 200mph, but was missing some fun with a homebuilt motorized bicycle. The slow result of the 49-52cc motors has me yearning also for a 125 or so dirtbike engine and trans for a bicycle. 40-60mph desired.

There's nothing safe about that or my motorcycle or the other two 30 mph bikes. That's not the purpose. I want to have more available power. Like my motorcycle, I have avoided being destroyed by a 3000 pound missile coming at me, from having 200hp to avoid them. That may not always work, but it helps.

Attachments

Clotho

May 25, 2008
I do ride my 1400cc motorcycle that will do over 200mph, but was missing some fun with a homebuilt motorized bicycle. The slow result of the 49-52cc motors has me yearning also for a 125 or so dirtbike engine and trans for a bicycle. 40-60mph desired.
I too have owned numerous motorcycles and just like you I would like more power. The part that everyone seems to forget is that when you upgrade the motor you have to upgrade the rest of the bike as well.

By the time you get to something in the 125cc range you might as well just purchase a 125cc sportbike. It will be cheaper and safer. It was designed to handle the power.

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Sometimes a little punctuation can go a long way. :)

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I will agree with the legal part. It is a wonderful feeling to be able to ride responsibly and not worry about 'The Man'. I can't agree with the helmet part though. For one I have to ride with a helmet to be legal in Canada. If I don't have a helmet it just gives them a reason to pull me over and hassle me about the bike. For two I would never consider riding without a helmet since I know it has already saved me at least once. The noggin is a pretty delicate thing. Injury that the rest of the body will heal from will leave you a drooling imbecile if the same force is applied to your head.

It may have been 'cool' to ride without a helmet at some time in the past. Pretty sure that these days most people consider you an idiot if you are seen without one.
In Canada if you are 16 I think it is or over no helmet is required. Where I live there are all kinds riding with no helmet. A helmet did save my life more then likely about 30 years ago now. It was a serious accident and many times I wished I had died as the pain I feel now and again from it it too hard to bear. I would advise all to wear a helmet, however for me, notta.

Deadend

Aug 19, 2009
ca
I have a 49cc that will do about 35 and a 52cc that will do about 30. Both to me are too slow for big city traffic. I built them for fun, but can only ride them only on backstreets. Very limiting. It's just not safe to ride them on city streets where most cars are doing 50-60 all the time in 30-45 speed limits here.

There's nothing safe about that or my motorcycle or the other two 30 mph bikes. That's not the purpose. I want to have more available power. Like my motorcycle, I have avoided being destroyed by a 3000 pound missile coming at me, from having 200hp to avoid them. That may not always work, but it helps.

check out getting a Motard :)

Its my other wife. I ride a 08 KTM690SMR - but for a cool 3-4k you can get a very nice DRZ400SM and really it will replace the motorized bicycle need.

My KTM is like a big BMX on steroids :D dnut