Moto-Guzzi "Neva-Lost" Board Track Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Sharp looking tank. Want to see it finished.
Yeah..... I want to see it finished too, hah, haa.... I should take a week off the work to get somewhere with this projet.

I decided to dismantle the wheels and after looking the shiny, chrome plated rims, it was time to "undo" the chrome.
I scrubbed the rims with 220 grit and then 1000 grit, some taping on sides with electrical tape (flexible!) one coat of primer and 2 coats of Colonial Red.

First with electrical tape on:

Peeling going on...

I'm still waiting 1-shot lettering paint in dark brown and gold. I will then attempt to pinstripe the wheels. How difficult can that be??? :-||

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Is pinstriping hard?????? I would answer YES YES YES, my mate gave me a brush a while back and i gave it a go and i struggled..... but seeing the job youve done on the tank and the rest of the bike i have a feeling you will turn out a brilliant job. Once youve worked out how to do it, please teach me :-(

I have a mack brush but maybe i need to practice with the right paint, i was just using my girlfriends paints..... well thats my excuse LOL

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Should have listened you Harry76... The easy part was to buy the brush. Paint smelled good too... I chose dark brown and gold metallic. I dont think I could make a living pinstriping anything. Maybe car undercarriage?

Well... I got it done, its a bit here and there, some look OK, some look like Michael J. Fox pinstriped the thing. Live and learn. I will attempt the tank too, but perhaps practice more first. This striping was done within 10 minutes after brush was out of the box. I'll master this skill later in my life, hah, haa!!!!

I will not share the pitiful pictures... OK, well, here's one!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Very nice build!

and the striping is a great improvement!!!

...might have been a gud idea to mount that headlamp to the rigid fork, and not to the sprung section... :)

Best
rc

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
That looks pretty damn good to me, if you can do that without much practice id love to see what you can do with a little more experience..... id be more then happy with that job on my bikes. And bottom line is you did it yourself so it doesnt have to be perfect. Besides if you get up close to most pinstriping jobs they are far from perfect anyway.

Outstanding job man, you make me wanna go practice some more.

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
...might have been a gud idea to mount that headlamp to the rigid fork, and not to the sprung section... :)
Bestrc
I think you just might be right. We'll see how many bulbs I go through within a week..laff That might spark me to move the bucket somewhere else.

monark

Feb 1, 2012
sweden
Hello,progress beeing made i see,this thing is going to be a beauty!nice work, cant wait to see it together.You do got the nordic touch left:)

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Not much progress at this point, just wanted to give an update that I'm here and project is not abandoned.bld.

I finally found a 2.6mmx0.45 thread die to do thread my spokes. This will be massively fun. 72 spokes, about 1" each. That a whopping 72" or a mere 6ft of threads on stainless spokes. I may get a bit smarter and cut spokes to correct lenght before threading them. Thats ONCE I can calculate the right lenght.

Did some welding on the freshly painted front fork. Thats always nice on fresh paint. I forgot to weld the tab to lock drum, so that it will not rotate while braking. DUH! Live and learn, now I am thinking of giving the whole thing "steel wool treatment" to make it old looking...

Sprockets will be a bit complicated. My gearing is currently 12x43 with 16" wheels. Thats original Guzzi.
Now..... thats NOT going to work with 26" wheels. It would be mighty fast, assuming it actually had power to move. Then again, it does not. It may be called a "Racer", but with 220lbs and 1HP, the rhino won. I did what I could, drilled a ****load of holes here and there, but it's a loosing battle.

I have ordered a 59 teeth Motobecane sprocket (to replace the 43) for the rear hub. Since the offset is wrong and it will not fit, I'll have to do the following:
- Put it on lathe and cut the inside material out, leaving only the teeth left. Kind of like GrandPa's dentures;-)

Then take the old spocket and chunk it on lathe too, cut the gears out and make a fiction fit. Once thats done, I can weld it together. Not necessarily pretty, but it will work. I may even have to do the same with front spocket, we'll see.

Last edited:

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Do you have a link to where you got that die? I have a feeling I'm going to need one soon too.
Yep. Victor Machinery Exchange, it was only 10 bucks + another 6 for die stock. They are on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_h...hange&rh=n:228013,k:victor+machinery+exchange

Make sure you get the right pitch and size. (My original threads are rolled, so the 2.6mm spoke is now 2.68!!) I have to cut out the threaded area completely before I can even start threading with 2.6mm.

Thumbrule is that if you have a die of 2.6mm, your spoke must be 0.97% of it (2.52mm) I opted a round 2.6mm die, which has a slot cut into it and this allows me to "play and extend" these tolerances a bit... Not much, but enough to get by with my spokes. After cutting the threads the OD is well above 2.6mm again (about 2.66).

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
What gauge and brand are the spokes you are using? This could save other a lot of time and aggravation.
From you photos your rims look like Worksman, so I would assume you are using Worksman spokes too.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Yes, I'm fascinated by your plan to thread the spokes. I would like to know how it turns out. I expect it should work ok on straight guage, high quality steel spokes, that are rather thick for a bicycle. Cutting the spokes will be the hard work. What will you use? many tools that can clip a spoke will leave a flattened, jagged, sharp edge, and can "shoot" the spoke clippings at you or across the room. Use gloves, or it might "ring" your hands too. Many bicycle catalogs have warnings to de-tension old spokes before clipping, if sending in the hub for a wheel re-build, for those reasons, and for preserving the hub flanges.

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
What gauge and brand are the spokes you are using? This could save other a lot of time and aggravation.
From you photos your rims look like Worksman, so I would assume you are using Worksman spokes too.
Propably not Worksman... maybe a Taiwanese working man, check the hub (which I'm not using, so if someone wants the hubs for free, let me know.)???

Here's a link to the wheels: http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Gage-HD-...=330671519858&ps=63&clkid=7471118123434757534

So, what are they??? Old 80's stock? Propably not, I dont know for sure. If someone knows what these are, let me know.

The spokes are 2.6mm (12 gauge) spokes. With rolled threads they are 2.68mm.

Yes, the first one was a biaatch to cut. It flew across the garage and I manage to cut it after 3 attempts. It also made a dent on my cheap end cutters. I have better end cutters, which will literally eat stainless, I'll try that one tomorrow. If it works, I'll post where to get these cutters. Once cut, its either to chuck it on lathe and taper the end or simply file it tapered before threading.

I had some fun today and drilled the rear hub side plate full of holes. I'm not loosing weight fast enough before the summer, so I have no other options than continue drilling...

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
THE SPROCKET:

The original Guzzi moped has a 12 teeth front x 43 teeth rear ratio on sprockets (3.58). Since the wheels will change from 16" to 26", it is a mere 80% difference. I either had to do something with gearing or find big down hills... Drilling more holes woud not work anymore.
There are no alternative sprockets available for Guzzi and most moped sprockets are geared for faster speed, not SLOWER. In other words, the front is larger and rear smaller. This is the exact opposite what I need.

I managed to find a Motobecane rear sprocket that is 60 teeth. (5.0) ratio)This would bring the insane speed capabilities down to a more manageable level with the 26" wheels. Like to 35mph. Difference from original ratio is only +10%. Which means it will be 10% FASTER, Yehaa!!! Only problem was that it has a 1" offset which Guzzi does not have, not to mention that it would not bolt on.

Good news is that with a lathe and welder you can make chicken salad out of chicken schiit.

Here is the original Guzzi rear sprocket with the Motobecane sprocket.

This picture gave me a though....

Cut the original sprocket OD smaller and cut the Motobecane sprocket "guts" out. Here's few pictures of the lathe operation.

Last edited:

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Halfway there...

and THERE!!! I decided to leave the "tiny cooling ribs" to the sprocket to insure proper cooling under high speed operations. Besides, smooth would have looked boring...

Throw was only 0.2mm, this means I will not have a "variator-effect"..

Once the Guzzi sprocket was cut, it was turn to give the Motobecane sprocket same treatment. Except that we did not do it on lathe. I centered the spockets and used lathe holding glue to fit them together. Once dried, the Motobecane sprocket was cut with jewelers saw. The did fit snugly together and spotwelding started on both sides to reduce warping. Once welding was finished, the angle grinder started to sing. Few coats of Home Depot Colonial Maroon and its time to serve chicken salad!

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
One of you guys asked what do I use to cut 12G spokes. THIS ONE:

It eats spokes, goes through with singe cut. (but with a heavy handed squeeze..) After 36 spokes, there is not a single mark on this cutter. Love it!

Right now I am threading the spokes, this will continue for a while, its a slow process... 1/2 turn forward and 1/4 back, whats needed is lots of oil and a cigar.

Here's where I am right now with the project:

and more later.....

Last edited:

Toofat2fly

Jan 11, 2012
PA
Rear wheel assembly:

It took a while to thread the rear spokes (front ones are still undone, Ye-haa...) Die worked well, but it just takes forever to go 1/2 turn forward, 1/4 back and forward again 1/2....
I ended up cutting the spokes twice and threading them twice, I really had no accurate way of calculating them, so only way to do this was the dumb one. Twice. All in all the spokes were shortened from 10 1/2" to 9 1/4".

First spokes are in. The retarded bulldog had to donate his dog bisquit jar as work bench, covered by a red rag to prevent scratches on the painted sprocket.

Second round crossing 3 over, both on same side.

Flip over and same on the other side..

Here's the original "old" moped front and the new rear. Gives a good idea of the difference in size, from 16" to 26". This front hub will be next donor.