Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike community!

GoldenMotor.com

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Re: Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike communi

Just a note to anyone who is looking to buy my tensioner, or is watching my ebay listing: I am temporarily out of stock, but only for a very short time. I will have more tensioners available this upcoming Wednesday (Jan 8th). I raised the price dramatically to allow me to keep my listing up and discourage anyone from buying one. But don't worry, it will still sell for approx. $40-41 starting Wednesday. I have mentioned this in my ebay item description, but apparently not everyone reads the description because I managed to recieve this amusing ebay message:

"110 Dollars????? I just put this in my watch list 2 days ago and it was only $35.00 !!! What happened was there a shortage of springs or are you just price gouging??? I was going to buy one of these but $110 is ridiculous especially when you can buy a much nicer one by Jakes Bikes (The Outlaw) for only $79.00. It looks like yours covers the clutch cover instead of replacing it and you want this much Crazy!!!!!!!!!! I guess you want $20.00 now for an allen wrench too"

Just thought I'd share brnot

On another note, I will start including the hardware to mount the chain guard to the engine, to make it more convenient for the builder's that choose to use it!

As always, thank you to everyone who has purchased one! Hope everyone's New Year's has been great!

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan
Re: Would like to offer a new engine mounted chain tensioner to the motorbike communi

Available again! Something new is I'm included some stainless steel hardware to allow the chain guard to be mounted to the engine along with this tensioner. Thanks to all of my customers so far!! brnot

AVroman

Oct 4, 2013
Daytona FL

Hello @turbobuick1

I purchased this item on ebay and couldn't be more amazed by the quality of the product that I received.

I do have a problem that I was wondering if you or anyone else on the board could help me with. The crank arms do not clear the bolts or the plate of the tensioner. I have tried to figure out another way of mounting the plate so that I could use it, but so far I have come up with nothing. I did even try moving the engine enough to get the crank arms to clear, but it was of no use.

I am going to try some more ideas when I have a couple days off from work, but any more ideas would be better.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you like it. There are a couple solutions for what you are describing. You can search this forum for "wide crank arms" and see what you can find. It's a fairly common topic of interest.

A popular fix is to convert a one piece crank to a three piece crank (as seen on many mountain bikes and high end cruisers).
Here is one link you can check out: http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ucts_id=104&osCsid=rcr9afcaap8va43u6c0mivlhc3

Another alternative is using a oxy/acetylene torch to heat and bend the cranks, but this is not an option for most people.

I will give you some more info later today. Im sure some of fellow members have suggestions, hopefully someone can chip in here.

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
[QUOTE="AVroman]
I do have a problem that I was wondering if you or anyone else on the board could help me with. The crank arms do not clear the bolts or the plate of the tensioner.[/QUOTE]
If it is only the bolt heads get some flat head Allen bolts and countersink them so they are flush with the plate.
What kind of cranks do you have?
How much clearance to the outside of the sprocket cover?
Will grinding some material off the back give you enough clearance?

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Hello @turbobuick1

I purchased this item on ebay and couldn't be more amazed by the quality of the product that I received.

I do have a problem that I was wondering if you or anyone else on the board could help me with. The crank arms do not clear the bolts or the plate of the tensioner. I have tried to figure out another way of mounting the plate so that I could use it, but so far I have come up with nothing. I did even try moving the engine enough to get the crank arms to clear, but it was of no use.

I am going to try some more ideas when I have a couple days off from work, but any more ideas would be better.
Heres another nice source for getting a wide crank:

http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1168.htm

How much clearance do you need to clear the tensioner? If you remove the tensioner, can you clear the engine's sprocket cover?

Post a good picture if you can!

AVroman

Oct 4, 2013
Daytona FL

Heres another nice source for getting a wide crank:

http://www.jnmotorsbikes.com/product_p/jnm1168.htm

How much clearance do you need to clear the tensioner? If you remove the tensioner, can you clear the engine's sprocket cover?

Post a good picture if you can!
Without the tensioner, there is plenty of clearance for the crank arms. The motor has almost 600 miles on it already.

If it is only the bolt heads get some flat head Allen bolts and countersink them so they are flush with the plate.
What kind of cranks do you have?
How much clearance to the outside of the sprocket cover?
Will grinding some material off the back give you enough clearance?
The crank arms hit both the plate and the allen bolts. I am going to try both grinding off some material from the plate on the tensioner and getting the bolts counter sunk just a little bit into the plate depending on how much material I end up taking off.

The crank arms are shimano arms that came stock on the Diamondback Cross Country that I built the motorbike out of.

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

It might be work contacting the guys at Sickbikeparts about these crank arms and see exactly what the offset is:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=35&osCsid=husmioeqg3fotudqjcepc8ar26

One of the reviews mentions that these arms cleared a pull start and centrifugal clutch on a China girl with lots of room left over.

If anybody knows of a good source for wide crank arms or even a wider crank that will give a lot of clearance for a china girl, be sure to post a link!

AVroman, it sounds like you just need another 1/8" to 3/16" of clearance.

AVroman

Oct 4, 2013
Daytona FL

It might be work contacting the guys at Sickbikeparts about these crank arms and see exactly what the offset is:

http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=35&osCsid=husmioeqg3fotudqjcepc8ar26

One of the reviews mentions that these arms cleared a pull start and centrifugal clutch on a China girl with lots of room left over.

If anybody knows of a good source for wide crank arms or even a wider crank that will give a lot of clearance for a china girl, be sure to post a link!

AVroman, it sounds like you just need another 1/8" to 3/16" of clearance.
The amount of clearance needed is about that much, maybe as much as 1/4".

I am going to try some ideas tomorrow, including the countersink, and grinding down the plate on the front and back so that it will clear.

For some reason, the crank arms on my bike will not come loose when the bolts are removed. Otherwise, I would grind down the cranks as well to get just a little bit more clearance.

I am not really interested in getting a new crank assembly due to the amount of money that I have in the bike already, and the lack of money I have in my account after buying a GoPro and your tensioner.

I will let you know what ends up working and post pictures of the final product on the bike.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY

Related to the clearance question.. yes it was quite close to mine too (the crank would rub the spring). I was able to use a dremel tool (put a sheet over the bike so the filings don't go everywhere) and grind the inside of the crank. This worked for me although I didn't have to grind very much off.. Good luck.

paintgun

Nov 17, 2013
Illinois

I have to have one of these. Just ordered on ebay - I can't wait!

First customer from New Zealand?
Moose, in my opinion, you just made one of the BEST purchases you'll ever make. Got close to 100 miles on mine and have had absolutely NO problems with it.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK

Moose, in my opinion, you just made one of the BEST purchases you'll ever make. Got close to 100 miles on mine and have had absolutely NO problems with it.

I've got his first commercially sold tensioner with about 400 miles on it now. Great product! You'll be amazed at how much quieter it'll make your bike......dance1

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

I have to have one of these. Just ordered on ebay - I can't wait!

First customer from New Zealand?
Yours is shipping out today! You are my second customer in New Zealand; Inspectaclueso on page 10 of this thread is the first :)

I've got his first commercially sold tensioner with about 400 miles on it now. Great product! You'll be amazed at how much quieter it'll make your bike......dance1
Xseler was a brave man, buying a new product that no one had heard of before :) Thanks for taking that gamble! He also posted a picture of the chain roller/wheel a few pages back showing how well it holds up to the chain. I have well over 600 miles with practically no wear showing. Im expecting my engine to wear out before the wheel does! brnot

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan

Hey turbo, once I save enough money I'm gonna get one. Do I get a Michigan discount? Just kidding, Lol I'm about 200 miles west of port Huron. How's the weather over there? Nothing but good things heard about your tensioner, can't wait

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

Hey, always great to hear from a fellow Michigander. It's a bit chilly at zero degrees, but it doesn't really bother me! I'm a big snowboarding enthusiast, so I embrace the cold weather!

It's not much of a discount at all, but I'd be happy to ship ya one for $40 flat, and I will include the allen keys for free, if you could use them (you'll have to let me know). This applies to anyone living within the U.S.! Just send me a private message asking for my paypal address.

Look forward to hearing from you soon!

turbobuick1

Nov 6, 2012
Thumb of Michigan

I will be unable to ship out any tensioners between Mar. 4th and Mar. 13th, so if you are looking to get one soon, try to place an order before 12pm noon eastern time tomorrow. Any orders placed before then I can still ship out the same day.

Otherwise, feel free to place an order between the 4th and 13th, but please realize I will not be able to ship it out until the 14th.

For anyone who is interested, the link to the chain tensioner's ebay listing is below in my signature.

As always, thank you to all my customers!