Woodruff Key Replacement

GoldenMotor.com

Autocycler

Feb 14, 2008
Metro Washington, DC
I sheared the key off of the small gear behind the side cover...the gear that attached to the clutch. Has this happened to anyone else here?

Any tips on where I can find metric woodruff keys. I bought some key stock from the local hardware store that I can grind down to size, but I'd prefer to find an exact replacement.

Neko

May 21, 2008
CoMo (Columbia, MO)
I saw woodruff keys at westlacks yesterday. Not sure if they were metric or not but I did see them. Good luck. We also have a place called Fastenal they have just about anything you could want. Not sure if you have one locally or not.

Radmanfly

Jul 28, 2008
Oswego, NY
www.farleysradiator.com
Steve,
I don't know if you are still looking but Tractor Supply has a great selection. Not sure if they are metric though.

Update:
I just checked my recently purchased assortment and they are standard, 1/8" through 3/8" X 1.5" and are distributed through SpeeCo Inc. - Manufacturer of Log Splitters, Tractor Parts, OEM and Farm Accessories Golden, Co., perhaps they have a metric line and a vendor near you.

Good luck, Scott

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I should think a lawnmower/chainsaw repair would have metric as most stuff is made in Europe., Asia, or Scandinavia

norwoodj

Sep 7, 2010
New Orleans
Does anyone know the size of the woodruff key? Is it an M3X3.5X9? I've found a few places you can buy these online, but would prefer to pick one up locally so I can get back on the road today.

norwoodj

Sep 7, 2010
New Orleans
I'm in New Orleans. I ended up buying the replacement 'semicircular bond' from gasbike.net. Cost me $20 for 2-day shipping for a 30-cent part. I had to file the edges of the key and the slot on the shaft to get it in. Drove down the block and the engine seized. Turns out the small bevel gear cracked in half. I think the first woodruff key must've been hiding behind the clutch somewhere and caused the seizure. Now I need to find that animated clutch assembly link to figure out how to pull the clutch apart and see if I can figure out for sure what caused it to jam up.

Alson333

Nov 9, 2011
Kankakee Illinois
My friend has the same problem, hus chain came off and jamed in the bx, causiny he key to scred. U read on the form the tool does take tbe plate with the pads on i ofdl bt thinkung the key was nroke causing the plate to be hard to ske off.wee.

bikerdude0269

May 18, 2011
high point nc
I hope this is the right thread if nit please move it mods. Today 10-9-2011, I some broke the woodruffkey behind the drive chain pulley. So I was outside piddling around and got to looking at rider mower carter key
that holds the deck on. It is just hair smaller then the clutch wood-ruff. I thought WTH so I took and measured the slots it fits so I cut it to size to fit the engine slot
Then the pulley slips right on as if it belonged. I have been running it all day cant tell the difference but u have get woodruffkey the same diameter as da clutch. My camera broke so I had get pics offline. homegeniousness lol

Last edited by a moderator: