Wonder if I'm in the right forum

GoldenMotor.com
Feb 18, 2020
Dakota , Ilinois
Hi , looking to find people of similar interest , you all seem to be the closest so far . I am building a motorized bicycle of the type from the 1920's . It doesn't fit with the board track racer crowd & I'm not sure what you will think of it . I will try to attach a couple pics as a way to help with my description .
I harvested rims & forks from an old moped , then bent up my frame from 1 1/4 x .080 dom tubing . I used a 1938 Neptune Twin 4 hp , 50 cc opposed twin outboard motor powerhead to propell it through a belt torque convertor . The sheetmetal is all used 55 gal oil drums & gas tank is an old copper fire extinguisher . It is nearly done & is apart for paint & final assembly . Hope I have found the right like minded group . Let me know what you think or help me find somewhere to hang out ?
Thanks , Boo Long
neptune 1.jpg
neptune eng.jpg
neptune rear.jpg
neptune twin 2.jpeg

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Right forum, you ask? Heck yeah. Welcome aboard. Gotta follow along with a like-minded fellow who also drafts his plans on a flattened cardboard carton. lol.
Some nifty repurposing going on with this build. Intriguing motor choice too.
You didn't ask for it, but if I were to add my two penn'orth, I'd say go easy on the paint. Your work in progress definitely has some nice bare metal patina going on.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Great to have you along Boo. Categories here were set a long time ago & headings might not reflect exact content which tends to be very eclectic which reflects acceptance etc. Take a look at the "Board track and vintage" category...lot's of vintage style, classic rides that your wonderful bike would fit nicely among for the long haul, Board track bikes are just one style among many that members build. Classic, vintage & motorized are perhaps the best parameters coupled with pedals, but not always.

I'm intrigued by your build and think it very innovative, while reflecting well a time passed by in a machine that actually passed through. It helps an old guy smile & it's not yet complete!

Love the Neptune twin these were still seen on lakes when I was a youth,

Post often and show photos, lots of photos. Most understand that work underway reveals as much ugly as does promise yet pretty still shows up at the end.

Rick C.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
twin 3 037.JPG
SHIRT-4 B&W.jpg
View attachment 103719 View attachment 103719
Thanks All , it is nice to find other "outsiders " . Will post pics as I go . Have built several unusual projects over the years , but as usual don't want to slow the momentum to take pics . I have dissasembled it to do metal finishing & paint , so next pics will be final assembly .
Boo
55453643_375106660008067_8688292942260994048_n.jpg
Apr - Copy.JPG

I enjoy the retro look. Here are a few of mine.

Last edited:

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Great inspirational builds Russell. All definitely have the 'vintage' look most of us aim for. Thanks for sharing.
Hmmm....might have to look further into those Neptune horizontal twins. Always loved the Douglas Dragonfly twins here in the UK but I've never seen one of those engines come up for sale for anyone like me contemplating using it for a one-off custom build.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Great inspirational builds Russell. All definitely have the 'vintage' look most of us aim for. Thanks for sharing.
Hmmm....might have to look further into those Neptune horizontal twins. Always loved the Douglas Dragonfly twins here in the UK but I've never seen one of those engines come up for sale for anyone like me contemplating using it for a one-off custom build.
Pete I love spending other peoples money so I'd encourage you in doing same on yet another project. Neptune Dragonfly has a nice ring to it...

Rick C.

Reactions: fasteddy and Tony01
Feb 18, 2020
Dakota , Ilinois
I really need more pics so as I can harvest (steal) ideas , especially the Marathon Twin from all angles , what motor is this ? Looks like you have removed flywheels or at least cooling fins from the Briggs engine ? How does temp run ? Biggest challenge with the Neptune will be cooling .

Reactions: fasteddy

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I really need more pics so as I can harvest (steal) ideas , especially the Marathon Twin from all angles , what motor is this ? Looks like you have removed flywheels or at least cooling fins from the Briggs engine ? How does temp run ? Biggest challenge with the Neptune will be cooling .

No the Briggs has not been basically modified. Only left side pic that I have is a construction pic.
DSCN0209.JPG
2 cylinder huffy 008.JPG
ready 4 the parade 004.JPG
I wanted to keep the kick start, so had to build a chain revers-er to orient the kick pedal.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Russell's work is a fine example of why we encourage new members to read old threads. There's more than one man can absorb, yet I keep trying!

Rick C.

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry