Winter Storm

GoldenMotor.com

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Wow, cool country there!

I guess it pays to live south where January looks more like the beginning of November! Is that first pic of a blizzard? Those are the kinds of days I've always liked to hike on.

I heard about that storm sweeping thru the south down there and it's amazing that it hasn't snowed here for 4-5 days now I think.

I ought to go outside and take some pics of what it looks like here.................naw, it's too cold out! laff

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
eDJ-

Up here the snow is so regular that photos are just another way of stating the obvious.

For you guys, it is a special time in history. ;)

My daughter goes to OU GO BOBCATS!!!!!!!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
LOL, yeah I hear you guys in the Great White North.......

But I'm talkin about when it snows in DIXIE !

Just across the river from me is Ol' Virginia. (now called West Virginia) One of our local High School Teachers had a piece in the newspaper explaining how we have some specialized form of a sub-tropical climate here in the Ohio Valley. In the summer time it can easily hit 100 F and 96% Humidity. (ya'd love it here then) Even the cats climb up in the top of the pine trees and lay on the branches to catch a cool breeze.

We almost never see tornado's here, and a blizard comes along about every 50 years. Last one was
93 and I stuck a yard stick in the snow and measured 24 inches. But Floods.....yeah we got
them enough to give away......anyone want one ?

But for now I'm blessed to be able to look out at the beauty of this snowfall and enjoy it. I don't get to see it like this too often.

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Before I came to Colorado from Phoenix, I thought that winter would look like those pictures all the time. Boy was I mistaken, haha. Seems like it snows a few inches, then warms up for a week or two, then back down. We haven't really gotten and big snow storms here this winter. I know there has been more snow in other areas here, but not where I'm at.

Is it weird that I was actually looking forward to having lots of snow?

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
A neighbor of mine moved to Loveland, CO a few years back and lived on the Front Range.
He sent me a photo his wife took of him sitting on a chasise lounge on his patio where he was
wearing a pair of cut off jeans and pair of tennis shoes while reading the Sunday paper. He said it was it was 70 F degrees. (this was by 10am when she took his picture)

There was about 30 inches of snow showing beside him in the photo and he said that by noon it was all gone. It seems
the air is so low in humidity there that the snow almost evaporates as it melts. There was no
sign of water on his patio from the snow melt. Then the humidity there is around 12 to 18%.

On another board I posted those same photos and this one Philippine Girl keeps wishing she could see
see some winter weather like that in her lifetime. Under her Avatar she list her location as "paradise". LOL

She says her idea of paradise would be to have four seasons, as she looks at tropical weather all year long. (then she's in school and I don't know if she is actually living in the Philippines presently)

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Jason,
Your time is coming my friend. You've been lucky so far this year but some day...
This is looking across the street from my front walk. That's a Saturn SC-2...the red thing buried under about 2 feet of, you-know-what.
Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Here are pictures from my place--Penticton B.C.--and my son's --Midway B.C.
.sno. I think everyone needs a winter to experience--then you appreciate summer --minus 7c here this a.m..santa
Notice the capital one ( **** freezes over) at the falls

Attachments

Last edited:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Tom - wow. Is that from today, or from a few days ago? We only got a couple inches this last go-round. Mostly gone now.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom - wow. Is that from today, or from a few days ago? We only got a couple inches this last go-round. Mostly gone now.
J,
I gotta be honest; the pic is from last winter. I don't remember the month. That's my neighbor's son's Saturn. The poor thing sat there for 2 weeks. We had 32" before it stopped snowing and I have some pix from 97 when we got 43". The ornamental iron fence around my back yard just had the tops of the spikes showing. It's 46" tall. I'll see if I can find those. They're on my home computer.
Tom

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
No Wonder guys from the U.S. o0ften mistake canada and think it is always winter and we live in igloos--but in the south where we are most winters--not this one- a temperate we are in the south--40 miles north from U.S. border

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Just a mention, this storm which is now being called a Mega Storm is probably going to bear
out like another Katrina. We had a twin engine Piper Business aircraft to crash just short of the large airport down river from me (killing all on board) the other day due to the weather, and they are finding people frozen to death or asphyxiated from auxiliary heating or generators now. Authorities are claiming it may be mid Feburary before all are accounted for in the more remote areas in Kentucky.

Deadly ice storm leaves 1M without power

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/winter/2009-01-31-ice-storm_N.h
tm

There is another storm slated to be thru here by mid week and we're waiting to see if it goes
around us.

So, tomorrow is Sunday, and for those going to Church please consider the plight of these poor souls for your prayer list. I figure when the ice and snow has thawed, the roads are passable and the
power back on there will be a terrible story reported by the news media.

Still, it's beautiful to look at if you are safe and secure.

Attachments

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Wow, a winter storm - in winter - knocks out power for so many people. Who'da thunkit?

No, we don't need to spend any money on infrastructure or anything....

It's really terrible how things like this happen.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Yeah Jasonh, it used to be the Power, and Phone companies had crews out trimming trees all spring, summer, and fall. Back in June I was talking to a Verison linesman who told me that's a thing of the past. That the company wasn't spending money on anything
they didn't absolutely have to. He rolled his eyes and said it was just more work and overtime for him during the winter when the trees began to fall on the lines.

He thought it was dumb and couldn't understand why his company got so cheap in past years. But, we've seen all these CEO's getting the big bonuses and that money for them has to come from somewhere. I figure this will be part of what tells the story when the Public Utilities Commissions begin to start looking into it.

What hit us was a heavy wet snow followed by very cold temps and then a heavy ice storm. That puts tons of weight on every old tree that can fall on electric or phone lines.

I figure the news media will be all over this place asking when the last time the people in these areas saw their utility companies out trimming trees back from the lines. It may get interesting
then.

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
It's quite interesting and I can imagine it on some farm steads around here. I'm
not sure I understand it that well yet but 60 pounds of split firewood isn't a problem
here.