winter build: airman board track

GoldenMotor.com

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
im trying to understand how this subforum is working, but ill give it a try

ill start with this spiegel airman (monark) frame i found at a garage sale for 8 dollars

blast and paint black, add a 50s higgins beehive springer, new wheels, some mid 60s murray bars flipped upside down, a higgins spaceliner crank and creme felt quick bricks and you have this

then install the infamous "80" cc

and run in to a ton of problems that a first time builder does!

hopefully to be finished before the deadline:
custom tank in frame
lower motor mount
heat wrapped pipe
boost bottle painted to match on seat post tube
old style non plastic throttle and prewar grips
custom mounted deep sprung troxel seat
number plates displaying its class ts/cd (two stroke / chain drive)
full black and creme yellow paintjob
leather wrap cable and wire fasteners.

wish me luck!

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
This is one of my favoritwe cruiser frames to look at. You are doing it up right and it should be a fun ride. Keep us posted with the great photos...

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
slowly coming along

new motor mount and wrapped pipe!

next up is seat choices, im trying to find a cheap local deep sprung that i wouldent mind modding. i like how banana seats look on motorbikes too, but my whizzer already has one.

tank - deciding weather or not to make a tank to fit in the rails or modify some oxygen tanks for the job.

lobsterboyx

Dec 20, 2008
Los Angeles
well, its ready to be stripped and painted - but here it is in its final config, although, the seat doesnt tickle me too much.

aerospace surplus oxygen tank - to be used as a mock boost bottle!

this is how we roll!

flatblackkustoms

Jul 14, 2008
MEDFORD, OREGON !!!
slowly coming along

new motor mount and wrapped pipe!

next up is seat choices, im trying to find a cheap local deep sprung that i wouldent mind modding. i like how banana seats look on motorbikes too, but my whizzer already has one.

tank - deciding weather or not to make a tank to fit in the rails or modify some oxygen tanks for the job.
How much did the heat tape cost you? dnut

chipmcluk

Oct 29, 2008
Reno
$13 at swap meet about 12 years ago! Go to Rideable Bicycle Replicas - www.hiwheel.com and look in "Accessories" ! You will find a seat like this for $29.00 Very good deal! Very good quality! I think it is about $12.00 for shipping.
Hope this helps, GERRY D. FBK.

dnut
Dido. Greg Barron at hiwheel.com is a great guy to deal with. I've used him many times, including that seat you just mentioned.

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Now I know what to do with the old Higgins Beehive Springer front fork that I bought at a swap meet last year. It needs a lot of work but I think it can be salavaged. I like the Airman frame and the handlebar setup. I am still on the prowl for a good frame. My last two builds I had to really modify the China engine mounts. I would like to fine a frame that has the correct angles and add a big loop under the engine.