Will Staton chain drive fit this bike ?????

GoldenMotor.com

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
That's great and I think you will be real happy with the motor gearbox setup. That is quite more powerful than the Subaru EHO35 I installed using the inside drive.

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
yea ... Thats my next question the inside - outside mounting. I know the inside drive mount Looks better, but is there a advantage to it. Better balance??? Does the outside drive pull the bike, does it make you fight the bike, Like a car with the front end problem.
I just bought the Point Beach bike yesterday and now it's time to order the engine kit.
Ready to get on the road !!!!!
It's starting to get fun now!!!

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
Was the inside drive a bear to install ? On the staton site they say it's a little harder !!
Is that a Little like 1-2 hours more time.
or a little like 2-3 days and 5 trips to home depot , And use of excessive expletives
Did you have to buy more stuff ?

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I cannot compare but if he says it is harder I believe him. Here is a photo maybe I can dig more up but am at work. I am a frame builder so it was not too difficult for me to fabricate what I needed. The gearbox sits on the left looking from behind and the frame holds it which holds the motor. the kit comes with struts that I would just go ahead and use instead of this setup. It is light as I used Cro Moly tubing and brazed it together.

Attachments

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
You can mount the Staton kits on any bike I have seen. Go to Staton-Inc motorized bicycles, bike kits & gear drive kits. and see the gallery page of examples.
\Staton-Inc - Motorized Bicycle Gallery

I don't think the Staton chain drive kit will work on bikes with coaster brakes. There are no provisions for coaster brake lever. The cruiser has narrower dropouts, so my Staton hub from my 7-speed bike wouldn't fit in there. The bike shop guy said he could make it fit, but then I'd still be without rear brakes.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Put a caliper brake on the bike and change to a Staton hub. Coaster is inferior any way. The motor will mount but you will need to adjust. That is the way of any install you have to adjust to make things work.

Staton may be one of the more difficult to work out for a coaster brake bike. A Happy Times kit will need some modifications to the CB hub, but will allow the coaster brake to work.
The link from the original post does not get me to a bike so I am not sure if the bike is coaster brake or what. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5585804

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Thanks for explaining, lennyharp. The bike in question has 7-speed derailleur and wider dropouts, so seanhan would have no clearance problems. I was referring to my cruiser bike, in regards to installing the 16t freewheel hub and Staton gear chain drive.

I thought about disc brake or v-brake for the rear, but my skills are limited and custom work assistance where I live is non-existent. In a population of 800,000, there are only two of us MB riders that I know of.

The most practical way to quickly solve my problem was to buy a 7-speed bike like seanhan's.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
I am a pretty good bicycle mechanic but depend on good motor people to help me and though this forum is a help I sure like to go to someone and get direct help. I do think that shops will start looking more favorably on motorized bikes as more people use them and then help will be closer. For now we just help as we can, so good luck. You need to get a built wheel from Staton or use a bike shop to get one built.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I'm a decent motor mechanic and depend on the bike shop guys for valuable assistance. I don't think motorized bicycles will ever catch on in Hawaii, because mopeds are the rage here. Per capita wise, I believe Hawaii has the most mopeds in the U.S. Sales and service are excellent, and everyone wants to go faster than what a motorized bike can do. They expect to keep up with traffic or go faster. There's a major subculture of moped drivers here, and a LOT of moped thefts, frame changing and illegal resales going on. I would LOVE to get a fast moped, but I know I'd lose it to thieves.

That's another reason I love motorized bikes. No one's gonna make a supreme effort to steal it if I secure it well enough. It's not as "cool" as a moped, which is good.

Anyway, I have a used Staton hub from my Dahon project. I also have a flat tire on my brand new bike, so I'll let the shop swap in the Staton hub onto "Mr. Hyde", my monster bike. Then after I rig up a lever to raise my front drive off the tire, I'll install the rear chain drive.

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Glad to see this thread so I can ask a question. I have ordered a Schwinn Landmark Cruiser that will be here next week. I called Stanton today to ask a question about the friction drive and what roller I would need for the hills in East Tennessee. He told me I should look at the chain drive kits and I have but I am totally confused. Will the left side sprocket/freewheel require a trip to the bike shop to have the stock wheel altered in any way or will it just simply screw on the Schwinn furnished hub? I don't mind the extra $100.00 for the chain dirve over the friction drive but I bike shops around her think that they are airplane mechanics and charge accordingly.

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
You will have to get the Staton hub laced on your rim, or you can buy a new wheel from staton...
Are the hills really bad there ???
Have you looked at the Dax Titan ?? or the GEBE ??
with those 2 you can use your rim..
The Titan is a bargin at 375.00 plus 25 bucks shipping, so 400.00
and thats all you need to buy.. but be advised the the titan and the staton chain drive require a little skill to install, where the GEBE is very simple to install in less than 1 hour..
also be advised that most of these kits recomend you use a good quality wheel .. there right !!!
my schwinn point beach came with a cheap wheel and it only lasted 6 months ...
so I got a weinnman wheel now (double wall )
the Staton and gebe offer good japaneese engines the Titan is chineese ( but it's got a good reputation )
do you know if you want 2 stroke of 4 stroke ????

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Excellent reply to my questions. Thank you!!
I bought a new car about 6 months ago and didn't give it near as much thought as I have on the bike engine.
My main concern is performance and reliability. I was actually ready to order the Stanton friction drive kit yesterday. I called them for their recommendation on what diameter roller they would recommend to handle the steep hills in East Tennesse. For simplicity what could be more trouble free than direct drive via roller to the wheel. No belts to break or stretch, no chain to strech and require adjustment, and a quality Honda or Robin 4 stroke engine that you can actually by parts for. He said I sould look at the chain drive so I did. I know the roller drive will slip when wet and will probably wear out the rear tire faster but I am a casual rider and don't ride in the rain. Plus I didn't see any real negatives about it on this forum.
As far as the engine is concerned I have not even considered a 2 stroke. I don't like the noise, the mixing of oil, and the mess that comes out the exhaust. In my younger days I had a 2 stroke Honda dirt bike and you could hear me comming a mile away. I have owned may weed eaters and leaf blowers in my life and found that the two cycle engines were only good for a couple of years of occasional use before the rings stuck due to carbon buildup or the exhaust port clogged with carbon.

A think I have looked at every kit available. I have the skills to install any of them and even have a machine shop available where I work so that is not an issue. One of my biggest concerns, and correct me if I am wrong, is that I don't like the idea of anything that pulls on the spokes. I just don't see that lasting a long time without bending, breaking, or otherwise damaging the spokes and wheels. I was looking at the Stanton chain drive because it drove the hub.

The $100.00 Chinese kits are not in consideration because of all issues above and reliabiliy. I want to ride it, not work on it all the time.

Ruled out GEBE because of the belt and spoke issue and it was more than I wanted to spend. I want to keep this in the $400.00 to $500.00 range.

Ruled out the Titan because Chinese 2 stroke (parts issue), most reasons above, and looking at the red bike on Daxs website the way he mounted the kit looks like something out of my junk pile. How many brackets does he have on that thing?

So I guess I am back to friction drive or chain drive from Stanton and buying one of their wheels. Concerning their wheels. Website says must have threaded freewheel. I have not received my Schwinn yet but I believe that it probably has a slip on freewheel and cassette. Does that mean that in addition to the wheel I will have to purchase a new threaded freewheel cluster combo?

Well, long post and thanks for reading. Any comments from the experts out there will be appreciated. This is a great fourm. Glad I found it before I just started buying stuff.

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
The 2 stroke engines are different now I have a Tanaka 32cc ( jap) It has a catalitic converter and even meets calif. air quality. Also rember that with a 4 stroke you will have to change oil... (crankcase). There is a lot to be said about the Staton friction drive .. very simple !!!!
not much to go wrong, not much upkeep, not much weight, not much cost...

Consider this ... IF you buy a friction drive with a good engine , if you hate it you can take the engine off and use it on a chain drive and sell the rest of your friction kit on ebay...

or maybe you will love the friction drive and keep it ...

also keep in mind that the best engine for the Staton chain drive is the 2 stroke mitsubishi TLE 43..
it's super quite...
had has good power, is ISO rated ...

ut1205

Jul 4, 2009
Tennessee
Sounds like a good plan. Stanton is selling the friction and chain drive on e-bay. It is the same price as their website but has free shipping. Think I will go ahead and "take the plunge". Any suggestion on whether I should opt for the 7/8" or 1" roller for the hills. I weight 185.

Just got back from a 45 minute ride on my Currie electric bike. I am really happy with the bike but I can't go more than about 3 miles from home before I have to turn around and head back to an "outlet". I could add another battery pack but the bike is heavy enough without adding another 20pound to it. With a gas bike I could ride as long and as far as I want as long as I carry som extra gas.

Years ago I lived in Del Rio Texas and I think you had to drive at least a 100 miles to find a hill. Not so in Tennessee. Thanks for all the good info.