Will I need a new clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
So I got a Homelite Trimmer from a guy on Craig's list. He said that it started, but the string didn't turn. I haven't gotten gas for it yet, but when I pull the pull cord the string spins. I haven't done very much engine work, so I don't know if the string holder turning when I pull the pull cord means that the clutch works or not. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks.

SpiderSpartan

Jul 29, 2008
Cincinnati
Sorry I'm really new to this, but why wouldn't I use the clutch that came with it. I was kind of planning on just mounting the engine on the bike and going. thanks.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well....you may, but you will either need a roller of some type or a chain or belt to drive the rear wheel. The clutch that comes with a weedwacker usually has no provisions for either.

Jstude

Jul 3, 2008
South Carolina
it is simply a matter of design and intent. That string trimmer motor was intended for driving the string trimmer mechanism. i had originally intended on using a chainsaw engine for my bike. i still might do one some day. but for my first build, i decided that the chain saw motor was still better for a chainsaw than a bike. so i bought a motor made for a bike. even a motor designed for a bike is still no picnic to install. if you simply mount that string trimmer on the bike and get going, please take lots of pictures. we would all love to learn from the experience. From my readings in this forum, you should contact "Deacon" (among others) who can give you a leg up on using alternative engines. Good luck with your efforts. We all love and admire innovation and "makin sumpin from nuthin"