whizzer ambassador

GoldenMotor.com

poorboy42

Oct 22, 2008
Tulsa Ok
I am new to this thread. I see where whizzer is closing out their ambassadors for 1495 and I am partial to the ne5 because of nostalgia. I had a kit on a swinn bike back in the 50s. I understand the distributer is sold out of the ne5 and the 2009 will be different and there will be a price increase. I am temped to buy the ambassador because of the price. Any ambassador owners out there with input??
Thanks
Ron Tulsa OK

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't own an ambassador, but check your local laws before purchasing. It has no pedals (the ones I've seen) like the NE5, so it will probably be considered a motorcycle as far as licensing and registration. I'ts a very good looking machine, but I would be required to get it tagged and licensed in Arizona.

ws50599

Sep 30, 2008
It is a motorcycle in Iowa. I have one and I love it, but I knew it would be a motorcycle. Go to ebay Jim is selling them $1399 plus $100 shipping. I talked to WhizzerUSA they are going to up the price back to $2295 after the warehouse is cleared of Ambassadors for the new bike coming in 2009. The Ambassador itself is a great machine, head turner, good looking, if you can afford you need to get both, but get the Ambassador while they are cheap!

ws50599

Sep 30, 2008
Jim Mabry...excellent, up front and keeps you informed to shipment to delivery...ordered mine and got in 5 days....tell him Jack from Iowa sent ya...have fun!

poorboy42

Oct 22, 2008
Tulsa Ok
Jack
have you had any mechanical issues with your ambassador? How is the pickup? I have heard the new style clutch wasnt that great and they were sluggish. How many miles do you have on yours?
Thanks Ron

ws50599

Sep 30, 2008
I just received my bike so not too many miles on it. Out of the box it would not idle, (none of them do do they?), but I adjusted the idle air mixture screw and idle adjustment screw and it now is idling high 1700rpm (not the 1200rpms they say). After that it went easily 35mph level surface I expect to go better once broke in. There is a snafu with the oil release valve underneath the seat. I called WhizzerUSA they know about the problem and they are sending me out a new type that alleviates the problem of oil spewing out the filter end onto your rear fender. For FREE. So ask them for it before you order it. The bike itself I love it. Looks good and for the most part it is a comfortable ride. Use the 40w oil got mine at O'Reillys and don't wait the 50 miles to change it do it in 10 miles..it will be black. So change it. I want to keep mine as stock as possible so I am not going to be changing the head etc to make it go faster. Quenton on this thread is the man for that stuff, you can also remove the baffle in muffler (gets loud) carefull not to pull out the insulation and you can change the plug the hotter NGK plug (I didn't) maybe this would help speed. This is a CVT clutch you don't peal out but it gets to speed just fine. Are you in a hilly area? I am in flat Iowa. Overall I like the bike. Getting any of these type of bikes mean your going to get your hands dirty, they are on hands bikes, but they are fun and simple to work on...just keep them free of dirt on the pulleys and belts and change the plugs and oil is all you need to do if you want to keep it stock...have fun!

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
WS - Is your bike a Ambassador? Good to hear that you like the bike. I love my NE5, when I don't I put it away till I love it again. LOL. The hotter plug is not for anything but keeping it clean, if yours is running clean leave it alone. I wonder if yours has the restrictor! With mine in I could only open the throttle 1/2 way or it would just quit pulling. I guess you don't have a bench mark to go off of, but how quick do you think it is from a stand still? The NE don't have the CVT. OH, do the rear shocks work? Quinton says his don't. Have fun, Dave

ws50599

Sep 30, 2008
Egor...mine is the Ambassador...for a while there I was going to send it back. What I found out and what many on this thread have said is that Whizzer doesn't care much about the bike after it is sold. If you can imagine the bike was mailed to me. so I was basically the mechanic to put it together etc. and to get it to run. Luckily I have some motor smarts and this thread to help me through it. The bike would not idle. Mike Simpson was right..when you get the bike it is a good idea to rinse the tank before it is connected to the carb. My filter was full of paint chips and gritty particles. Some of those particles got in my carb and I had to blow them out of the bowl/needle. I was starting to think I don't know how to adjust idle and air mixture.... AFTER that was done I put it all back together and it runs great...first time around I was going 37mph. Quenton said it is dog coming out of the hole and he is right! It starts slowly, but the ride is much smoother. I am not one of those who wants to make it go 55mph etc. anyway, 40 is fine with me. And I want to keep it stock. The bike is fun, looks great, people love the look and I guess with any Whizzer you got get your hands dirty with them and keep them up. My rear shocks work okay, there are adjustments and supposedly does not have a restrictor. Well off I go...take care ws50599 (Jack)

Last edited:
Hi Jack,
The early edition 2008 Ambassador had the 70 MM automatic clutch, and I didn't like the motor reving to over 7000 RPMs to travel 40 MPH [the speed limit in my small town is 35 MPH]. So after I encountered a couple of minor "teething" problem with the original clutch, I replaced it with one with different ratios. My Ambassador will now cruise at 40 MPH with the motor turning 5000 RPMs, but it is even slower leaving the stop sign. I was willing to degrade the take off speed in favor of a smooth cruising speed. The stock Ambassador struggles to reach 40 MPH with both the stock clutch or the modified version, it is a matter of torque verses weight. If the load on the motor is stock it will reach 40 MPH at high RPMs, or geared higher [or lower, depending on your outlook on ratios] is will reach 40 MPH at the peak of the torque range. I don't think the Ambassador motor will pull a heavier rider to 40 MPH with the taller gearing I am using, because I only weigh about 165 to 170 lbs. I was hoping the CVT version would have a slightly larger output pulley to take advantage of running the motor at a lower RPM, but guess it didn't happen.

Have fun,
Quenton

tbirdguy

Apr 19, 2009
Coshocton, Ohio
Hello All,
I just joined this thread. I really enjoy reading all the information about the Ambassador 2
I just purchased one and rode it for the first time today.

tbirdguy

Apr 19, 2009
Coshocton, Ohio
I have a question about a little pin that I received with my bike. It is in a bag that has a note that says "For Push Start". Can anyone tell me how and where this is used? I presume it is used in case the battery is discharged?

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I just put mine together yesterday and I was wondering the same thing.. Does yours idle?? Mine has got me pretty bummed....Wont Idle.. messed up th carb adjustments.. Spitting oil out of the head where it connects to the exaust pipe. The hose under the seat is either smoking or wizzing fuel out of it. And its a SLUG! Is there anybody out there!!

Troyboy

Last edited:

tbirdguy

Apr 19, 2009
Coshocton, Ohio
Hi Troyboy,
Mine did not idle when I first fired it up. I spent yesterday seting the idle mixture and idle speed. After I got that done I found out that it would hardly pull itself. The more throttle I gave it the worse it would run. I ended up reseting the main needle valve in the carburetor slide to the leanest setting. (Top groove on the needle) This made a big improvement but I could only get a top speed of about 28 MPH.
I am afraid it sounds as if there may be some serious problem if yours is spitting oil out. Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

tbirdguy

tbirdguy

Apr 19, 2009
Coshocton, Ohio
Hi Quenton,
I hope I don't ever need to use this pin either but it sure would be nice to know how and where it is used!
Do you know if the automatic clutch is adjustible? If so, I would like to adjust it so it will come in at a lower RPM.
Is there a trick to get my bike to run better? I took it out for the first time yesterday and could only get about 28 MPH top speed out of it.

Hi Guys,

I can help on the oil issues, the leaks, the severe lack of power, and happily pass on information about my Ambassador [version one]. Many have called me about the CVT, but it is important to get the motor running smooth first. The CVT appears to have some possible engineering glitches, but if coupled to a poor running motor it will have a harder time. Most engineers know a CVT eats power, and in order to make it operate correctly often more power is needed.

I had a 100% failure of the compression release [in the head]. After number 5, I replaced the release with a machined 10 MM bolt. I still have a bunch of the compression releases in case anyone wants to do more research.

My Ambassador started much easier without the release. If the pipe starts turning blue near the manifold, check the compression release valve for leaks. If you want to amuse yourself, check the compression, and you will soon see an area than might be modified to gain more power. My NE/SE motors average from 125 to 165 pounds of compression.

you are welcome to call me for additional information and photos
252-475-0406 cell

Have fun,
Quenton
Get YOUR EZmotorbike TODAY!

tbirdguy

Apr 19, 2009
Coshocton, Ohio
Hello All,
Does anyone know where a fella might be able to purchase a service manual for the Ambassador II ? (Including the automatic clutch) I asked Whizzer on their website, but I am not getting any response.

tbirdguy

I would suggest you call them and ask for one. I have several NE5s & a 2008 Ambassador and no service manauls. The last known service manual was for the 1999 model. 1-877-944-9937. I read a post somewhere that the NE5 manual would soon be available, but don't know if the Ambassador & NE-r will be published at the same time.

Have fun,
Quenton
Get YOUR EZmotorbike TODAY!