Which kit?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by chad223, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

Me either! Except for the tensioner issue...but that's long been resolved, some people run into the strangest issues. I think the time the motor will last will depend on how well it's maintained and a rider's riding habits. Agree?

2. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

In my experience when I'm super dead broke. I get creative I also save a bunch of junk motor parts in case I need them as well as springs and nuts and bolts..have a bucket of them, I've even run into a case where I've used a few :) As for the kings motor bike kit, It was a good kit, but it went from being mistreated for over year to properly treated and just died after a few months. The previous owner definitely ran LEAN. The cylinder walls were deeply scored, the piston was pitted, there were little chunks of metal sticking out of the top of it, it was terrible but as for performance it started easy and ran good for the most part.

3. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Fo'sho'!

Not magic or special talent required...just set them up right, take time and care, and proper maintenance.

40++ years of working on stuff doesn't hurt though.

4. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

What really gets me mad is when some inexperienced punk kid buys a kit, installs it (usually totally wrong!) and then rides it and seizes the motor or does a burnout or tries giving it gas without using the clucth properly and then goes around and says dont buy the 2 stroke kits don't buy the 2 stroke kits they suck they're terrible blah blah....dude you're the one that ****ed it up! That just really gets me mad. :p

5. Mozenrath

Mozenrath New Member

I know what you mean. When I first wanted to buy a kit, I asked some people on another form, and someone tried to discourage me by saying that the "motor will last maybe a week before siezing and the rattling will make the motor fall right off on your first ride". Even after experiencing the faults of the chinese mounting hardware, I think this guy either got a crappy engine or had no idea what he was doing. I abused the **** out of my first motor and it never came close to siezing or smoking. Since then I've pretty much learned that it's best to do your own quality control before installing a motor and replace all the mounting hardware. That seems to be key to not having problems directly caused by the motor.

I don't think people should buy kits just because you can buy better versions of nearly every perhipheral part and it would save money in the long-run.

This reminds me of another forum member here who built his nephew(I think) a real bada$$ motorized bicycle, and his newphew pretty much just poored gas in the tank with no oil and blew it up immediately. It was pretty sad. Damn kids should listen to their elders.

6. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

Yeah, that's the problem these days, people are VERY irresponsible our society is heading down the wrong path. I'm on the same page you are I ride in almost every condition, snow, rain, hot cold. They LAST I run mine a little rich....20:1 but I might drop off on the oil a bit and run 24:1. These bike kits are fun! I enjoy riding them upgrading them, and fixing them! My beach cruiser I have got has improved much since I last posted pictures and I'm going to paint over the areas that got scratched by that dumb stock tensioner.

7. Bikeguy Joe

You'll find that 32-40:1 is even better! Modern oil is good enough to run at that. You'll get more power, better cooling and less carbon too.

8. Mozenrath

Mozenrath New Member

I had no problems with 32:1. Then again, I use ester-based synthetic.

9. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

I ran a 40:1 ratio for my buddy for 1 gallon and the motor got REALLY HOT! I was scared it was too lean, we ended up draining the gas into a can and I gave him 20:1 I don't think I'd want to run any leaner than 32:1 I run my 20:1 mix as of now and I get quite a bit of power as it is! But I will be leaning out my mixture to 24:1 and see how that goes.

10. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

I actually just recently broke. I was at tractor supply company and bought Husqavana Synthetic Low Smoke 2 stroke oil that I will be using on my next gas run. I can't wait!

11. Bikeguy Joe

It shouldn't have gotten hot, a leaner mixture (oil to fuel) will result in a richer mixture (fuel to air).

The more oil you run the leaner the fuel to air ratio.

Plus, too much oil will cause excessive carbon build up.

12. Donavan321

Donavan321 New Member

I am aware of that....now in the case there is carbon build up if one was to pull the head how would they go about cleaning the piston? Also would it be okay to run between 24:1-32:1 Any personal mixtures you have good luck with?

13. Bikeguy Joe

I always ran 40:1 with Penzoil for air cooled engines, even at break in.

Clean the carbon with a brass brush, and/or a sharpened wooden dowel of about 3/4'' diameter. Don't use anything metal like a chisel or putty knife.

14. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

I hope the newbie that started this thread asking "Which Kit" at least got some usefully information. I don't know why the others had the need to interject the side conversation and pound their chest, they added nothing to the thread other than perhaps giving a false idea that finding replacement parts is a non issue. As you know, things break, and wear, and sometimes you want to upgrade, most people are going to be looking for parts sooner or later... As for the bikeguy and his pal, I hope they ride forever and never need a part, and that MacGyver inspire them in every repair.... ;)

15. Bikeguy Joe

Wow! Take a nap dude. You are way too uptight.

16. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

You really need to grow up a bit guy....

17. Bikeguy Joe

Sure, let me know when you do.

18. nightcruiser

nightcruiser New Member

No, you are.... lol

I'm gonna go ahead and unsubscribe to this thread because its gotten way too much like a bad day in the school yard.... have fun.

19. Bikeguy Joe

LOL.

Fo'sho'

20. 577-Jersey

577-Jersey New Member

Your not lucky,,
    You just know what your doing,,guys that expect these things to strap on out of the box and run like a Honda have no clue...lol..they are ALL good foundation kits that need to be completely gone over.