which freewheel ?

GoldenMotor.com

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
Hey all I bought a grubee HD hub from "Birdog dist" or "bicycle engines.com" and cant get the freewheel to thread on...I'm at work and dont have the freewheel in my hand but some help would be cool...I bought a BMX freewheel from a local bike shop and it only threads on the first two or three treads and stops dead...The threads on the hub are clean and chrome free after a little work with a light wieght wire brush and the freewheel threads are also clean. No defects on any threads anywhere...The website says to us a 35 X 1 freewheel but I have not been able to locate one at all. I'm pretty sure the freewheel is a "standard" thread and that may well be my problem seeing the hub was made in China...What I'm looking to find out is if anyone out there bought one of these hubs and can tell me exactly what freewheel to buy and where to buy it so I dont spend a hundred bucks getting the right one...

Thanks a million

Last edited:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
The BMX Freewheel you have should be the right one. Is there any chance you are trying to thread it onto the left side of the Hub? You want to be mounting it to the side of the hub with only one set of threads.

ocscully

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
Yep I'm trying to thread it on the side it goes on...One side (the left) has 2 sets of threads, one for the threaded collar that the sprocket bolts to (counter clockwise) and the threads for the band brake (clockwise) ...The other side (right) has one set of threads for the freewheel that threads on (clockwise)...Now that I'm home, the freewheel the bike shop sold me is a "Dicta Brand" 17 tooth but I dont have the box...The threads are good on both the freewheel and the hub...I wonder if the first few threads are going on easy and then the threading comes to a complete stop because a "standard" thread and a "metric" thread are obviously not working together...Thats why I was wondering if I needed to buy a metric freewheel ? Its been a long time since I have worked with a bicycle but this thing is driving me crazy...

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
It is normal bmx standard size. The threads on the hub typically go all the way to a point which makes for sort of an interference fit. If you have a drill w/ some sort of scotch brite attachment or wire wheel or somethin' to knock the top of the threads down going w/ the thread direction; nothing extreme just a li'l dulling of the point. Maybe some fine emery over the tops. Then thread it on and off an extra 1/4 turn at a time checking your threads each time. If your cross threading you can tell before you cause any damage. Go easy it shouldn't resist much w/ a large wrench on the removal tool, if it does, stop and figure out what's wrong.

Last edited:

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
I'm putting the rim into and old 1950's Hiawatha/Gambles balloon tire bike...Not much clearence but just enough...As for the other question...I'm a fairly mechanical person but I have NO idea what a standard BMX freewheel size is...Im 41 and gave up BMX racing at about 16 so its been a long while since Ive had a bike apart...I see your going to be offering these hubs on rims, do everyone a favor and give them a choice of a freewheel and intall it for them would ya ? Ha ha. I'm sure if you offer it at a fair price you will sell tons of them...I for one will buy one if I ever do this again...Taking it to a bike shop to have all this work done on the rim is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A** !!! Especially since most bike shops HATE the idea of a motor on a bike.

Last edited:

lilhog

Dec 25, 2008
florida
How much did you have to bend your frame to fit all that in there? It seems that chain allignment could become an issue.

Last edited: