Where have all the 415 chains gone?

GoldenMotor.com

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Good day all!
Wow, I cannot believe I joined the forums 12 years ago! Holy crap I am OLD! :p Sorry I am not as active as I was well, 12 yrs ago. I still get out and about on my bike but not nearly as much as I used to.
Anyway, so after God know how long, my existing 415 (NOT 415H) chain finally wore out to the point I have to replace it. The thing is though, finding a basic 415 chain is much harder than it used to be. I ending up geting 2 415H chains from amazon and returning them, and have been to 3 bike stores, ;none of which has them either.
I REALLY don't want to go with a 415H, I know they are stronger, but I do not put enough miles on them to need heavy duty and am willing to sacrifice longevity for lightness.
Could anyone tell me where is a good place online to get a verifiable STANDARD 415 chain or are they not made anymore? Thank you!

Reactions: fasteddy

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Venice,
I understand your point and I apologize if I offended you. Let me see if I can clarify my initial thought.
A few years ago, to me, it seemed that generic 415 chain was easy to find everywhere, including Amazon, eBay, and locally. However now it seems that only 415h chain is readily available. Is this just me or has something changed?
As for not using vendors advertised on the site, there are several factors that influence that decision.
1. My first motorized bike purchase was from a vendor on the site and it not a good experience.
2. After sharing that experience in the these forums, I received other negative feedback about other vendors on the site, which further influenced my decision to use site vendors.
3. Now over a decade later, perhaps from force of habit and convenience, I lean toward Amazon and eBay first for most purchases, and from local brick and mortar businesses second.
4. Not following the forums as I used to, I am not familiar with the current vendors, how reliable they are, or even what is standard and what is not anymore.
So again I am sorry Venice if I touched on a sore point, or worded my post poorly.
Today, I am going to see if my local bike shop has anything in stock and would work. If not, could you please share a link to your 415 chain and I will purchase it from you?
I appreciate that you do care and are active with the mb community and will buy from you if I can.

Josh

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Test,
Thank you for your feedback, but I am simply not willing to go with a heavy duty chain of any type. know they are stronger, but I do not put enough miles on them to need heavy duty and am willing to sacrifice longevity for lightness.
Venice,
My local bike shop cannot seem to find anything other than the 415H either. I found your facebook page but no store front or product links. I was serious about getting one from you if the price and shipping are good.
If I don't hear back from you, I may just go this route and have plenty of spare in the future:
Josh

P.S. Currently I see 2 ads for BikeBerry, I will not buy from them. One ad from www.bicycle-engines.com which only has 415H chain and one ad from heliobikes.com which also only stocks 415H chain. So now I am confused Venice. Why are you upset that I am not using the site vendors, when they don't even stock the item I am looking for? For that matter, that feeds back to my initial thought, are the NON H 415 chains even available anymore?

Last edited:

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Hi Josh,
I did a bit of a search, and 415 appears to be about obsolete. 415H is the hot seller. There is to me a big difference between 415 and 415H, the latter is wider between plates by 1mm.
If all chain lines on your build are near perfect you should not encounter any problems with 415H. Have you searched Ebay and Craigslist for NOS?

Tom

Reactions: fasteddy and PeteJ

Risingsunn

Nov 24, 2012
Maricopa Arizona
Tom,
Thank you kindly sir. Talking to the owner of my local bike shop, he seemed to think that its availability was influenced by supply chain issues caused by Covid. That sounds about as reasonable of an explanation as any. I will just get some from link I posted. If I wear a chain out about every 3 years, then 10 ft should last me until I am too old to ride anymore or I have to get a new bike, whichever comes first. :p

Josh

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon