Where do you ride?

GoldenMotor.com

buzzler

May 15, 2008
Hi All,

I am a newcomer, I posted once before to ask a question about disc brakes. I am happy to say that my installation is complete and successful. I have had my bike up and running now for a week and it is cool.

My next question is, where do you ride? From what I can gather, in New York State, these bikes are not legal on the roads. That's kind of a drag 'cuz I wanted the thing to ride to work. I still plan to do it, I just have to try to stay under the radar so to speak. I was just wondering what the general consensus is of those who love this hobby. Do you guys really ride these bikes on the road?

Buzzler

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I am also new to the fourm, and from NY. I do ride it to and from work about 8 miles each way. The road that I take has a speed limit of 40mph, my bike can only go about 32-33mph top speed on the flat, 36mph on the down hill so far. So I ride on the side of the road. However when I get close to work the speed limit changes to 30mph. I move into the lane there. I have passed by a cop car several time like this. I have not been stoped yet.

unwired

Jun 11, 2008
New York
I read somewhere that speeds above 20 mph are not permitted in most states wihtout some sort of license.

Does anyone have an official ruling for New York (or other states)?

I'll post this next question on other areas too but does anyone in NY (or North Jersey) have any suggestions on good places to get a new bike?

I've been looking at a number of cruisers and choppers online but they all seem to be on the west coast.

Thanks.

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
Where abouts in NY? I am in Syracue, and there are a few places that I can point you to if in the CNY area. As for the rules I was told if the vehicle has an engine smaller than 50cc and not faster than 35mph than you are fine. Plus, if you are able to pedal as well then it is another class that is exempt from license and registration. I have passed plenty of cops and they didn't look twice at me, as a target for a ticket any way. The cops around here are some what laid back.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I ride on the road everyday(Bike lane). The city of Tucson was trying to ban motorized bicycle's. But Roland, owner of Spooky Tooth cycles and other motorized bike owner's took the fight to city council.
We can ride with no insurance, no registration, no MC driver's license. We only have a 20mph speedlimit which is a small price to pay. And we can only ride to the right of the road or bike lanes.
There are many here in Tucson who have registered thier MB's and operate them in the street with all other traffic. Some say they cant do it because thier is no VIN number. Here in Tucson you just pay $5.00 and have it inspected after you install all your light's speedometer mirror ect. And they use the serial from your bike as a VIN number. But of course every state is not the same.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I read somewhere that speeds above 20 mph are not permitted in most states wihtout some sort of license.

Does anyone have an official ruling for New York (or other states)?

I'll post this next question on other areas too but does anyone in NY (or North Jersey) have any suggestions on good places to get a new bike?

I've been looking at a number of cruisers and choppers online but they all seem to be on the west coast.

Thanks.
New York Moped Laws

Check with your local DMV or even the local police dept.

roman415

May 15, 2008
I am new as well form California. Just put together my bike last weekend. I do not have the guts to take it to work yet as I do not want to deal with random breakage. Going to wait until the engine is broken in, and I have a better feel for what CAN go wrong.

In my area, we are fortunate enough to have a lot of bike paths and trails, as well as great scenery, so I have basically been riding around the county and having a blast.

Felt like I would chime in about California laws. From what I understand from the motorcycle driver hand book, as long as you can pedal the bike (keeping it a motorized BICYCLE), and stay under 30 mph you do not need a driver's license to ride, just a helmet on your skull :D

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl655/dl665mcycle.pdf <- link to the hand book

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
New York Moped Laws
On this page it said that a motor-assisted bicycle does not qualify for a registration as a motorcycle, moped or ATV. Are you sure it can be registered?

I am selling my bike, looking to go faster for longer distances any way. The guy that wants to buy has the consern about not being able to register.

unwired

Jun 11, 2008
New York
I've read this same page as well. I'm not an expert by any means but here's my thinking.

The wording seems to try to protect rides more than it acts as a restriction. Basically, the state is looking to keep moped riders from getting into situations where higher speed traffic could impact a moped driver.

The text does not seem to outlaw riding pedal assist vehicles in public parks or bike paths (just not on public roads, parking lots or sidewalks).

To fit within legal limits I believe that you'd (a) need to hit a reasonable speed and (b) possibly have head and tail lights and turning signals.

Nitro said he'd get more details on Wed so we'll have to wait and hear what the real scoop is.

TeddyB

Jan 19, 2008
alto michigan
I live in michigan and I have concerns about getting across roads like the east beltline in areas where there are no sidewalks as I try to stick to the sidewalks where there is no area to the right of the white line.

I am hoping the new trail along M6 they are planning will suite my needs unlkess they post signs --no motorised vehicals -- anyone think I can stay under the radar on trails like this?

Almost all the roads I need to get to work are posted 45 mph,although I have a assembled Moped permit I dont like riding in traffic!

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
well it must mean that Iam a outlaw of MBC because I have a distance of about 6 miles to work to ride and where their is a sidewalk , Iam on it - just for safety and if their is a pedestrian on that sidewalk by all means they have the right of way and if no sidewalk I stay to the right as much as possible. we dont have any bike lanes in Decatur ,IL and I ride across town to get to work. as for the fuzz, I've ridden passed a couple and have'nt been bothered, "ghost pedal pass the fuzz"!

billyjoebigdaddy

May 29, 2008
I ride my bike everywhere except the interstates. Not legal there. In Arkansas a motorized bicycle may be operated on streets without registering as long as it has working peddles, a horn, head light, tail light and signal lights. Must be 50cc or smaller(this is the only part I ignore). My engine has no markings that tell it's size. I doubt any cops will want to pull the head to measure the cylinder.