What's The Name of This Engine?

GoldenMotor.com

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You 'Saddletramp1200', that information won't help, I have tried several times to get them to give me the name or make of the engine to no avail. They simply don't advertise the name or make and refuse to give that information.

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You Saddletramp1200, I really like this place. I have found out some valuable money saving things on here. Very smart, friendly folks. I'm just buzzing in my head at the present time. What I really need to know, I am a disabled man, needing a ride to the store 2 or 3 times a week. But my heart condition and my COPD is making it very hard. I need a cheap, as my finances are extreme, 4 wheeler, that I can transfer my 'Happy Time' motor to. When I say cheap, I really mean, next to "0". I can paint it, greeze it, cover the seat, change a few bearings, and use my motor. I just can't weld one together. I can't weld. I also live in North Carolina. Not to many people have the time or resorces to help me out. Thank You again, Please forgive me for laying this on you, I'm sorry.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
There is no real name. There are about five China companies that manufacture them. The engine design was plagiarized from Russia, what looks to be about ten years ago. The Russian engine would last forever in its simple form. The Russian engine is a rotary valve engine, this is a piston port conversion. There is a group of Russians that have taken there engines about as far as you could go, theirs would whoop one of these on its best day. The original engine has points and a steel liner for the piston. The bearings are of the highest quality and their little engine endured for years in there poor economy. The Happy Time is probably the best name given, I suspect it has given quite a few impoverished folks some happy times. I hope this helps. Have fun, Dave

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
10 to 1 I just saw your last post and my heart goes out to you. Is the pic of your bike? If it is, I think the best thing you could do is make up a set of wheels on the front of the bike and it would then be a 3 wheeler. I don't know if they have them back there but out here we have the ice cream vendors that just take a standard bike and add a box with wheels to the front forks and you would have stability, then you don't have to install the engine on something that is going to be difficult. There was a ship yard bike that had the same thing with a large basket and wheels on an axle with steering linked to the front forks, something to think about. The first idea you could make out of wood, just a box and the whole thing moves to steer. Have fun, Dave

PS: Wish I lived down the street you would be on the road by the end of the week.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
You must be looking as we write. LOL, As to the Russian engines, they were still available a year or so ago, but I don't see them any more. I think the last ones were made in China so the quality was probably gone. I think if you Google it you could see one I will look, I think I have a pic somewhere. Have fun, Dave

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You 'Egor', Dave, I really don't want someone to feel sorry for me, just help me. Yea, that's my bike. Seems to me, those Ice Cream bikes would be harder to pedal. But I don't know. I need something to where, when I do need to pedal, I will be seated, instead of a stand up position. I am looking at other options. Thank You again.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
For the record, "happy time" is a name that was tagged on these engine kits by someone who is AGAINST these types of engines and is active in downing these and the owners as much as possible.

Please, please, stop using the term H aPPY T ime.....
How about-
CIF.(china in-frame)
China girl.
my bicycle motor.
my 70cc kit.
My ebay china kit.

Please.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Bg Joe - I agree to some degree and I ran into a pack of HT haters at the PNW rally this weekend. They try their best! Some weren't laughing when they saw how quick and reliable ours are. I sometimes use the word "Chengine" which is simply a contraction of "China - Engine", nothing wrong, nothing nasty meant, just a shortening of two words. But I never quite got the whole hating on these engines thing, until sometimes you find out that the people doing the hating have an agenda......and perhaps, well the agenda may be monetarily motivated.

Sure these engines take maintaining and we know the weaknesses, but so far this stuff can be overcome without breaking the bank.

There is a tad more - I believe, or at least I have heard that the Russian engine was derived from a Swedish design.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Just a thought here, If you encounter some of these "haters" just point to the license plate on your bike. (assuming you've licensed it with your state so it's street legal) If they rag on you, just tell them it's licensed and legal with the state they're standing in and you ain't got any time for them. This if they are blathering about the things being on the road in general.

If they don't like the Chinese engines, the design of the chain drive, or whatever.......tell em you'll ride yours and they can go ride theirs.

This link shows the legal requirements State by State.

Moped Laws by state

Are you taking about mounting this motor to a 4 wheel pedal bike ? You may need to find someone who can weld. Norman showed a system of welding bolts to bike tubing and then putting car suspension bushings over the bolts that the motor would mount to. It may not take much welding.......but it will likely take some if the platform (bike or whatever) isn't a standard for that motor to bolt directly on to. If the bike had one wheel in front and two at the rear it would still be inline with NC's legal codes.

Do I understand you to have a 4 wheel pedal bike already ?

Good luck.

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Just thinking about this special need gave me pause to take a few minutes and sketch a concept 3 wheel vehicle that "could" fit the parameters of 3 wheels, 50cc, must have pedal propultion system, and in this special case the operator has to be seated opposed to an upright positon. Probably an electric motor would be the best choice but since the owner has a Chinese in frame motor fitting it could be considered. (although it may not be too comfortable)

So, Here's a concept sketch that would use a scrapped trike, a bunch of tubing & welding, a canvas roof cover, and some metal sheeting. The seat would be made of plywood and some upolsterstery. This provides for pedals & brakes, a seated position, a 50cc propulsion system, and small space to haul the groceries or other necessities.

Otherwise an electric motorized trike with the basket behind the operator may be a less expensive option for those who don't have special health needs. Many people would think of a golf cart, or three wheel cart like some of those that were produced by the Carl Heald Company. But this would still have to be pedaled to a speed that would start the motor.......and I don't know if a heart condition would allow for that. On flat ground only a little pedaling would be required to assist the electric motor.