What's the best way to vent your gas cap?

GoldenMotor.com

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
After I fill up my black 66cc gas tank, gas bleeds out from under my closed gas cap until eventually it inevitably dribbles down the side of the tank over my newly applied decals. This needs to be stopped/vented somehow, maybe with a nice metal nipple inserted in the middle of the cap w/ some rubber tubing, but where would the end of the tube vent and would it work? I could drill a tiny hole in the cap but then what? Wouldn't it still continue dribbling gas over everything? I want to prevent gas vapor from collecting around the base of the gas cap when the tank is full. What is the best way to vent these caps?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Sick Bike Parts

This comes with two gaskets you can use to either replace, or add to your current gasket.

It's not alternative venting, and there'll still be some splash, but it does help in reducing the amount that splashes out.

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
So the best solution is to add another gas cap gasket and drill one small hole at the inside base of the neck of the filler cap (right below the gasket)?

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Well, if you're venting I would definitely add the gaskets first thing to snug it up. Then you need to seal the old venting, as was already said, JB Weld will do it, then just drill from the top center big enough to fit some fuel line.

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
Thanks, I will try that. Maybe I could drill a venting hole in the base of my steering stem in my handlebars to route the tubing. I wonder if I could attach a nipple to the gas cap to attach the tubing (jb weld)? ..I suppose it's hard to find another cap that fits these tanks which has a vent hole already built-in. I want it to look nice.

onanysunday

Apr 21, 2011
St. Paul
Sick Bike Parts

This comes with two gaskets you can use to either replace, or add to your current gasket.

It's not alternative venting, and there'll still be some splash, but it does help in reducing the amount that splashes out.

Thanks DuctTapedGoat! I ordered new gaskets and installed both of them. Now it doesn't even leak a drop of gas - perfect! Great solution. I don't even think I will vent it now that it isn't a problem for me any more.