What tool is needed to tighten chain?

GoldenMotor.com

SBZ2K12

Jul 26, 2016
NY
Hi I'm new to these forums and I'm not quite sure if this was asked or even where to look to find it.

The plastic pulley that comes with these kits to secure it on one side has a nut and on the other has what appears to be a flat screwdriver head.

Logic says to find a small flat screwdriver to put into the screw side to keep it from turning to tighten the chain.

I've tried 3 flat heads so far is it a flat head or a special tool?
Reason for asking is because i bought my bike already put together with the kit.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
What burrus/\ said plus on most of the modern kits the part where you would insert the flat head is self locking. If the kit is new and it doesn't seem that way, remove the pulley wheel and look inside between the bearing and the pulley make sure the bearing is pressed all the way in to the pulley. If you see a gap in there find a socket that fits the outer edge of the bearing and knock it the rest of the way in with a hammer hitting the socket so you only hit that outer most edge. Then when you tighten the nut the center bolt will lock itself and you don't even need the screw driver.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
if your tensioner is not the newer locking type and the pulley is tight, then I'd recommend just loosening the mounting bolts and sliding the whole thing forward or backward to set the tension - this is easier than trying to get something in thru the spokes to hold it

Jcs1989

Jul 31, 2016
Alabama
Try a spring tensioner. Jus got my kit installed an the stick tensioner came loose atleast 3 times within jus a few miles test rides. I engineered one pretty easily out of a few added nuts an bolts an steel arm.

Attachments